FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fiber channel back-to-back

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ercolino de spiacico
Fiber channel back-to-back
on Feb 2, 2010 at 4:06:54 pm

Hello everybody.

I'm trying to self-train myself on SAN and FC in general.
According to wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre_Channel
FC can work back-to-back: "Point-to-Point (FC-P2P). Two devices are connected back to back. This is the simplest topology, with limited connectivity"
I guess this is the equivalent of a cross-over network link between 2 servers where no hub or switch is needed. Is this correct?
If so... I would be interested in trying this.
Let's say I have 2x FC HBA, one per server can I just connect them directly? Do I need a special cable/fiber (crossed)? Any consideration on the config? I'm running ESXi 4.0U1 on both boxes...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Fiber channel back-to-back
on Feb 3, 2010 at 4:12:59 am

so you are using VMWare ? Are you on a MAC or a PC ? Because if you are on a MAC, you don't need any of this, and can do it with NOTHING but an ethernet cable. What editing software are you using ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ercolino de spiacico
on Feb 3, 2010 at 9:27:10 am

Hello, thanks for the answer, it's x86/64 architecture but I think I my have mislead with my question :-)

All I wanted to ask really is:

- Can I connect 2 servers directly with a fiber lead FC HBA to FC HBA (no FC switch or FC hub in between)

- If so, is this fibre lead "special" or can I just use a straight "normal" piece of fiber e.g. the one used to connect FC HBA to SAN switches?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jordan Woods
on Feb 3, 2010 at 7:44:44 pm

I can't remember what posting or site it was on, but somebody just talked about this exact setup. It requires that you turn an initiator to a target. Apparently ATTO makes this driver or software, but it is not available to the general public.

i.e. what you want to do won't happen "out of the box."

-Jordan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]