FORUMS: list search recent posts

Promise Vtrak Eclass Final Cut Studio 3 Compatibility

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey McGee
Promise Vtrak Eclass Final Cut Studio 3 Compatibility
on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:44:09 pm

Hey everyone, I'm currently running 2 edit suites running Final Cut Studio 2 hooked up to Some Promise Eclass Storage. My department was exploring it's upgrade options, and I've confirmed the systems are good for an upgrade to FCS 3 except for the Promise Storage. From the Promise Website:

"The Promise VTrak E-Class RAID subsystems have been qualified for use with Apple Xsan 2 and Final Cut Studio 2"

I called promise tech support to check, the guy was no help and told me to call Apple. Before I went THAT route, I'd though i'd post here. Does anyone know if I'll run into issues upgrading the edit suite to FCS 3 in regards to the Promise storage?? thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Jordan Woods
Re: Promise Vtrak Eclass Final Cut Studio 3 Compatibility
on Jan 29, 2010 at 2:32:45 am

storage is storage, it sits behind your fibre channel host adapter. FCP should have no effect on that. however if you were changing operating systems to meet any requirements of FCP studio 3, then yes, you could have compatibility issues. Do I know if they have any issues with different operating systems, no. But their tech support should.

-Jordan

Senior Systems Engineer
Active Storage Labs
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:00:34 am

[Casey McGee] "I called promise tech support to check, the guy was no help and told me to call Apple."

WTF!!!! Check out "Active" storage... their tech support can answer that question with a simple, "Yes we do support FCS 3". While you're at it, look at their cool iPhone app for monitoring system status.

Mark

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 29, 2010 at 3:27:55 pm

and for what it's worth -
Bob Zelin uses Active Storage

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Diego Buenaño
on Jan 29, 2010 at 6:07:39 pm

Hi Casey,
You should explore Active Storage as an option. We have installed Promise before, but since we went for an Active Storage you never go back. It is like switching from PC to Mac, you never look back.
Active has great online support, the units are amazing, the speeds we are getting are great and it is XSAN2 and FCP3 ready, Snow Leopard ready, and the soft is very intuitive and easy to configure and monitor. There is even an iPhone app to monitor the units.
We are based in Argentina, and have installed units in Mexico, Chile, Costa Rica, and some other places, and have not a had any issues.
I strongly recommend you to move to Active Storage. If you need any help contact me, I know some of the guys inside, I can hook you up.
Best.

Return to posts index

Ohannis Dikramanjian
on Feb 23, 2010 at 8:03:22 am

Hi Casey,
I can agree. Active Storage is the way to go. We have just finished an install using 4 Active storage blocks, FCP3 and OSX SnowL. WOrks like a charm. As far as support goes no worries, Active Storage Technical support has knowledge in the product and they can answer your questions. If you need any help please contact me.
OD

Ohannis Dikramanjian
818-242-4996 x 112
ohannis@nlesystems.com
http://www.nlesystems.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]