FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drobo Pro for editing HDV1080i and 720p?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mikkell khan
Drobo Pro for editing HDV1080i and 720p?
on Dec 26, 2009 at 2:41:25 pm

Hello, I wanted to set up a NAS for two computers, one a PC running Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and the other a MAC running Final Cut Pro 6.

I would eventually like to add a third system, most likely another Mac.

All these systems would be editing in HDV format and I would like all the systems to access the project files from one centralized location and possibly via ethernet (aka ISCI protocol).

Now my question is, would the DroboPro be able to handle this workload?

And if not, what alternative solutions are there for such an upgradeable NAS storage at a relatively similar price? (I am looking at the 2 TB package for $1699 US)

Thanks for any quick responses.

Edit: I have also been looking at Western Digital, Iomega and Buffalo NAS solutions. Does anyone have any information on how they perform as NAS solutions for file sharing and backup?

Mikkell Khan
Director
Diamond Films Ltd. (Trinidad and Tobago)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Drobo Pro for editing HDV1080i and 720p?
on Dec 26, 2009 at 5:58:05 pm

none of this will work for playback of 2 or more systems of real time video. It's just not fast enough. You need to spend more money. Dobro makes a good system for backup - that's about it. For actual playback, you are better off sticking multiple SATA drives inside your MAC, and just using Apple disk Utility to stripe these together. And without more stuff (spending more money), you can't have shared storage. Try it now - turn on file sharing on one computer, and try to play back two other computers thru your existing network. It won't work.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

mikkell khan
on Dec 26, 2009 at 7:37:18 pm

Alright, thank you for the information on that, so for two computers editing HDV content, what would you suggest?

And secondly, how much bandwidth is required to edit HDV?

Mikkell Khan
Director
Diamond Films Ltd. (Trinidad and Tobago)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 26, 2009 at 11:04:53 pm

HDV 1080i60
3.2 Mb/sec

this is a very low data rate. If you only have 2 computers, run an ethernet cable between your 2 MAC computers, and enable file sharing between the 2 computers (just turn on one computers file sharing). On the "client computer", say "Go>Connect to Server", and select
the drive where the media is. See if you can play out your media from the other computer. If this works, now play different media on the main "(server) computer. Does it work ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:55:36 pm

Have you looked at the latest drobo's? I'm just setting up a mk 2 drobo and it played back IMX50 material without a hookup. They also do the drobopro designed specifically for creative types.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]