FORUMS: list search recent posts

Win 2003 and OS X compatibilty

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Vasques Osorio
Win 2003 and OS X compatibilty
on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:41:16 pm

HI all,

I recently purchased a supermicro chasis with 16 disks a 3ware 9690 and have raided 14 x 1.5TB disks to a 16TB, RAID 6 with hot spares. Anyway, I am having huge problems with copying files.

I have installed windows 2003 on the file server and activated macintosh and nfs and all else needed for os x comaptibility.

I am now in the process of copying test: I get a good rate of about 54 Megabytes/s but my copying keeps crashing. It is also very random, sometimes I can copy 600 GB no problem, sometimes the copy crashes after 100 GB...

The copying is always from OS X to the file server, and is usually done through finder

Things I have tested: removing permissions, enabling guest, copy via terminal, copying via smb, afp and nfs. All have failes in one way or another. I have checked permissions on the source folder.

Anyway the normal message is: File not found error -36, or you do not have permission to read or write to this file error code -60.

There error codes vary in number...

Anyone have a solution
(I use windows 2003 because I thought I knew it, I have tested freenas with same result)

Marcus

Return to posts index

Dave Klee
Re: Win 2003 and OS X compatibilty
on Nov 25, 2009 at 2:26:36 am

Hey Marcus, what version of OS X? Leopard Server?

This could be many things, but my first guess is incompatible file names. Possibly Macintosh files have names that are too long for the Windows 2003 file system. Possibly some Macintosh files have names with illegal characters on a Windows system. Depending on how you started the copy, it would go until it hit a file with a name that doesn't make sense to Windows, and then give you that file not found error. It has happened to me a lot in the past.

I believe these characters are reserved in Windows, and can't be used in file names. < > : " / \ | ? *

However, I believe the only character illegal in a Macintosh file name is the colon.

In general, I don't like doing large copies with the Finder -- not enough information, and too many potential problems. I either use terminal or, even easier, a synchronization or copy software tool -- my favorite for Mac is ChronoSync ($40). That way you can get detailed logs, and if a copy isn't successful it will skip the problematic files and keep going -- notifying you later of exactly what the problem was. There are a few good options out there, and it's better than beating your head against a wall.

Here's a link to info on the Windows naming space that probably isn't super useful: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247%28VS.85%29.aspx

ChronoSync: http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_overview.html

Another issue I've run into a lot on Mac to Windows file copies is FAT. If a Windows drive is formatted as FAT16 (or often FAT32), it has a 4GB file size limitation. On the Mac side, if you're copying a large file to a FAT drive, the error message is something really not helpful like "unknown error." I doubt you have FAT in the mix with such a big drive, though.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Marcus Vasques Osorio
on Nov 25, 2009 at 10:36:18 am

Thanks Dave,

No OS X server, only normal leapord on all our computers. Currently have sucess with a few copies after a bit of tweeking. We will see.

I use another program called deltawalker that does the job, just haven't had a chance to try that solution.

Interesting informtion about the names, never thought of that, regret not buying my Xserve a bit :-(, but money is always an issue. It also seems that PC uses the whole length including folders etc... In other words info path would be folder+folder+file. Considering I am working with RED files this could be a problem.

Anyway thanks once again, found that NFS works pretty well through finder

FAT is never an issue as my drives are NTFS formatted...

Marcus

Return to posts index

Dave Klee
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:32:25 pm

Hey Marcus, glad you got things working! Any specific tweaks that made a big difference?

Didn't know about DeltaWalker -- looks cool. And, didn't realize you were working with RED files. I've heard good things about ShotPut Pro to help manage the offload of RED files:

http://www.imagineproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&pro...

Hope all is well!

Dave

Return to posts index

Marcus Vasques Osorio
on Nov 25, 2009 at 7:16:58 pm

I found by opening up NFS and using that I had less problems, I have closed network so security is not that important.

ShotPut is a great program, but my DIT's and I check through all the material to make sure it is all there manually, and un-corrupt so we avoid copying programs. R3D Data Manager is also pretty good APP which I use once in while.

I a currently copying 2+ TB we will see if this works out :-)

regards

Marcus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]