FORUMS: list search recent posts

SCVM SAN migration/iSCSI NPIV on Windows Storage Server 2008

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
edwards willeam
SCVM SAN migration/iSCSI NPIV on Windows Storage Server 2008
on Oct 22, 2009 at 9:39:19 pm

hi,

I've set up a Server 2008 Storage concentrator virtual machine cluster using storage server iSCSI target for shared storage - all of this works great, including Live Migration!
The setup is 3 nodes connected via GB ethernet to a WSS box acting as iSCSI target - all 3 see the storage, cluster validates and works, Clustered Shared Volumes are turned on (so multiple VMs per LUN work)
After installing SCVM 2008 R2 to manage the cluster, all is detected fine, new VMs can be provisioned, but what bugs me is that transfers are only possible over LAN, and SAN migrations are not an option - SCVM shows:

'The server t54.u.home does not contain any host bus adapter (HBA) ports. Fibre Channel SAN transfer cannot be used.' - this one is fine, no FC adapters are present
'The server t54.u.home does not have an HBA which supports NPIV.' - this one seems to relate to iSCSI SAN, which is present, using MS iSCSI initiator as the documentation suggests.

Does anyone know if SAN migration/NPIV is possible/supported when using Windows Storage Server as target and MS iSCSI initiator as client? Or is Network transfer my only option in this case?
(SCVM is installed on the storage server, if that makes any difference)

regards,
Dufrence

Return to posts index

irrani dam
Re: SCVM SAN migration/iSCSI NPIV on Windows Storage Server 2008
on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:43:24 pm

Ah, right, I see where the confusion comes from then - I was referring to copying entire (shutdown) VMs, from a template on SAN for instance, rather than live migrations of running VMs where only RAM was involved. Essentially, looking for a way to not copy the VHD over LAN but to have this handled within SAN.
I'd hope the next step would be for Intel to come up with a CPU feature where RAM gets copied straight from one server to another in hardware to live migrate, perhaps over a dedicated interconnect - that ought to beat any other methods ;-)

So yes, was hoping someone from MS will come back and tell me how to get NPIV to work on Storage Server, so I can have a disk-to-disk copy when deploying a new VM in SCVMM R2, rather than have it copy via LAN each time

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]