FORUMS: list search recent posts

need solution for three seats

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nitin kulkarni
need solution for three seats
on Oct 20, 2009 at 10:20:37 am

hi guys

i got three fcp seats with local drives, i got a show where one machine will do capturing through the day, and two other will need to pull data whatever finished capture file from the same. in this scenario one edit will use one file at a time. considering this, is there any affordable solution where can i share the storage?

regards
nitin

Return to posts index

Jordan Woods
Re: need solution for three seats
on Oct 20, 2009 at 4:21:43 pm

we will need more information, like compression, codec... etc.

But it, in the realm of SAN solutions, sounds like you could get away with a volume locking SAN like Fibrejet or other cheaper solutions. You might even be able to get away with an ethernet based solution, but I don't know your bandwidth requirements. Post it and we'll figure out what works.

-jw

Senior Systems Engineer
Active Storage Labs
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

nitin kulkarni
on Oct 21, 2009 at 10:23:37 am

hi

Sorry for short info. I would be working on DV-PAL compression with four stream timeline.

by affordable I mean, would I need fiber storage? Is it possible in Ethernet based solution? Like using jumbo frame switch or using both the Ethernet ports on macpro(link aggregation?) and work without any independent server? My budget is too tight I can’t spend big money right now. In future I would love to.

thanks for reply

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 22, 2009 at 2:39:40 am

Hi Nitin,
for DV you can do ethernet all day long without issue. You need a DEDICATED MAC Pro to act as a server, and some specialty ethernet equipment that will allow you to do link aggregation. And no, you can't use a PC as the server, and no, you can't use an old G5. If you don't have $2749 for a MAC Pro to act as a server, you can't have shared storage - even for DV.

Maxx Digital has cheap solutions that will work for you with Ethernet.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

nitin kulkarni
on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:11:38 am

hi bob

thank you very much for your reply

i can definitely afford macpro as a server and specialty ethernet equipment, i have already seen your affordable san solution article. which is really exiting.

just last thing i wanted to know, do i need fiber or sas type storage connected to server?

or can i share my one FCP local drive(3 drive raid) where i am going to do all my capturing with other two?

i can buy one macpro and specialty ethernet equipment, just trying to avoid extra storage money.

regards
nitin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 22, 2009 at 10:57:58 pm

SATA is cheaper than Fibre. If you can't afford anything, you can use a 3 drive internal RAID 0 array (with 3 1TB SATA drives), but don't expect to get anything beyond DV25 with this in a shared storage envoirnment. For ProRes422HQ, etc with shared storage, you need a very fast external array - and SATA is cheaper. It's so much easier buying a turnkey solution from someone.

bob

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 20, 2009 at 10:24:33 pm

what does "affordable" mean to you - how much do you want to spend to have shared storage for 3 FCP systems ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Oct 28, 2009 at 1:55:52 pm

Nitin,

You seem to be from India. I could help you with this. Where are you located? I represent Maxx in India and am also (one of the) forum hosts at the Cow's FCP forum.

If you're in Mumbai, we can meet and discuss this.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]