FORUMS: list search recent posts

Small Tree Switch question

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marvin Holdman
Small Tree Switch question
on Oct 16, 2009 at 2:05:51 pm

We're looking at purchasing a Maxx Digital system and had a quick question...

Does the Small Tree switch interact with 10/100 switches without configuration?

Hope this isn't too silly of a question.

I would like to mention that we've been communicating with John at Maxx Digital and Bob Zelin about the Final Share system and they have been great in answering questions. We had an email dialogue last week that I wish I had taken to this forum, as Bob's reply was comprehensive and to the point.

Bob, you are a great resource and your candor is greatly appreciated.Thank you for your work.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
Re: Small Tree Switch question
on Oct 16, 2009 at 2:31:33 pm

Marvin,

Small Tree switches are able to support 10/100 networks, however, Small Tree doesn't do a lot of testing on 10/100 since the focus is Gigabit and 10Gb Ethernet networking.

http://www.small-tree.com/Edge_corE_28_port_L2_Managed_Gigabit_Ethernet_Sta...

Hopefully this helps you.

Matt G

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 16, 2009 at 6:06:52 pm

I don't know why you are asking this question. You cannot say "hey, we got this big 24 port switch, lets just use this instead of our little 8 port Netgear". This switch is dedicated to your application for
shared storage. Every computer that we will use with this system, including iMACs, and Mac Book Pro's will not only be running GigE, but will have JUMBO FRAMES enabled. If you have any older G5's, you MUST purchase a Small Tree PXG1D card which will allow you do Jumbo Frames on an older G5 (that can only do
a MTU of 1500 maximum).

If you need normal office and internet access, you will be using a totally seperate ethernet buss (Ethernet Port 1) going to your standard "netgear" or "linksys" switch. There you can plug in all your
10/100 devices. The Small Tree switch will be a dedicated piece of hardware for this project, and it shall not be used for any other "office stuff" - including letting your IT guys tie into it. Your IT guys can access this switch via the network setup on Ethernet port 1. Just use the Small Tree for this shared storage application, and you will have no aggrivation.

KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
on Oct 16, 2009 at 7:26:11 pm

Bob,

You make a good point. It would be better to say that we are BOTH right, if things are done properly.

Managed Switches are very capable of supporting multiple networks, if configured to do so correctly..

In any event, running one network on a Managed Gigabit Switch, while running a second slower or less strenuous network on some other unmanaged switch may be okay....

In some cases the most "simplistic" way would be ONE switch, not TWO. Regardless of how many networks are in a facility, there are a lot of cases where one or two Managed Switches will run Multiple Networks. - Even in a video editing environment...

All of this assumes that the entire network / and hardware configuration being setup is correctly done in either case.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Oct 19, 2009 at 8:23:11 pm

Thanks for the answers. We would be integrating this into an existing network. Sadly, our current "SAN" is on a common switch and shares traffic with the entire office. We are working on isolating the editing gear to the Small Tree switch, but we will need to access the internet via our existing network.

Bob, I think you answered my question when you said, "If you need normal office and internet access, you will be using a totally seperate ethernet buss (Ethernet Port 1) going to your standard "netgear" or "linksys" switch." This was, more or less, what I indicated when the question was put to me, but... I am not the "expert" because I am the "video guy". Thus I had to ask a "silly" question.

BTW, Bob, I love your demeanor! You sir, are the consummate engineer. It's like having Don Rickles for your IT consultant. I LOVE that, and mean it most sincerely. (Yes, 22 years of this business will make you a bit strange that way).

Thank you, thank you and thank you for your no BS approach to this. It is very refreshing.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 20, 2009 at 10:31:36 pm

Marvin -
I LOVE Don Rickles - that is a true flattering complement (as opposed to so many people on these forums that think that I am just a demeaning jerk - when I am just trying to be funny !).

You can get a cheapo ethernet switch to run your office network (oh, you already have one), and then just use cheap CAT 5e cables to hookup all the "ethernet port 2" on your MAC's to your new Small Tree switch for shared storage.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]