FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rsync Backup an Xsan

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Besser
Rsync Backup an Xsan
on Sep 16, 2009 at 4:29:29 pm

I humbly need a refresher on Rsync

I'm getting ready to Backup an Xsan Volume for a nuke and re pave going from Xsan 1.4 to 2. I was planning to use rsync, but I'm having trouble remembering the flags to preserve permissions and resource forks and metadata.

Or if rsync is boneheaded, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jordan Woods
Re: Rsync Backup an Xsan
on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:14:14 pm

joe-

look up this process on Xsanity. I think some people posted a lengthy bit on this exact subject.

-jordan

Return to posts index

Dave Klee
Re: Rsync Backup an Xsan
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:47:11 pm

Hey Joe, I think Rsync is a fine idea, but depending on the size of your Xsan I'd also recommend ChronoSync.

http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_overview.html

I've been using it with Xsan for a few years now, and find it easier to deal with than Rsync. I'm lazy, and it has check-boxes for things like "verify data" and "preserve extended attributes" and "preserve permissions." Also very easy to exclude individual folders or entire paths if you don't want everything synchronized. The speed might not be as good as the command line, but with version control and configurable expiration times on old data it has been really helpful - especially on scheduled daily backups, or new backups I want to setup quickly.

I used it last year for our Xsan 1.4 to 2 migration, and again this summer to copy about 12TB of Xsan data to a new Xsan volume.

Good luck with the upgrade!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]