FORUMS: list search recent posts

about Wireless SAN's

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Preatheek Kumar
about Wireless SAN's
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:21:43 pm

Sir,
What are the protocols used for Wireless SAN's??
and difference b/w wireless & wired SAN's?
How Wireess SAN's work??
I want some information on Wireless SAN..
Waiting for ur valuable information...

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: about Wireless SAN's
on Aug 25, 2009 at 6:45:32 pm

[Preatheek Kumar] "Waiting for ur valuable information..."

Me too! I wish I knew about a wireless SAN that had the bandwidth necessary for what we do.

Mark

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:30:31 pm

I can lend some insight here. Most of this knowledge comes from reading up on wireless technology, and some from being in a professional environment as a sales guy selling some of the wireless products that are on the market.

IEEE 802.11 is a set of standards carrying out wireless local area network (WLAN) computer communication in the 2.4, 3.6 and 5 GHz frequency bands. They are implemented by the IEEE LAN/MAN Standards

Mbit - Megabit
MB - MegaByte

802.11a maximum net data rate of 54 Mbit/s

802.11b maximum net data rate of 11 Mbit/s

802.11g maximum net data rate of 54 Mbit/s

802.11n is a proposed amendment which improves upon the previous
802.11 standards by adding multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) and many other newer features.

Most of your wireless connections (like the one you have in your house or office..) run at around the 54Mbit/sec. This translates to about 6.75MB/s. This could also decline on a per user basis very rapidly, depending on what is happening on the network.

A lot of the information here can be found on a wiki like - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#802.11n (this is specific to wireless specification 802.11)

As you can see, for video editing, nobody should be trying to edit video on wireless. It's really not fast enough, and there's really no way to guarantee bandwidth to users.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks,

Matt G

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:14:10 pm

But Matt,
I want it to be free ! I want a wireless san that can do 8 Gig bandwidth, like the latest ATTO FC cards, so I can have multiple streams of uncompressed HD running all wireless - all FREE. Can't you give it to me for free !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jordan Woods
on Aug 26, 2009 at 9:26:22 pm

If we start working 8GB/s wirelessly ... I'm wearing a lead suit to work. That just freaks me out

:)

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
on Aug 27, 2009 at 9:39:05 pm

I think it's going to be a while then buddy! :)

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Aug 28, 2009 at 7:19:26 pm

you can already edit video on an iPhone 3GS, why not do it wirelessly? pretty soon we'll see Final Cut Studio for iPhone. really, it has to be going in this direction. if Apple can't get Final Cut to run on an iPhone, why would they even both developing it further?

e

Eric Hansen, The Audio Visual Plumber - http://www.avplumber.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]