FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tiger-Technology

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
Tiger-Technology
on Apr 14, 2009 at 12:32:01 am

Is there an ideal place to purchase the MetaLan software from Tiger-Tech. I want the cheapest place obviously. Do I need to purchase a separate license for each client?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Tiger-Technology
on Apr 14, 2009 at 3:21:23 pm

MetaSAN is sold thru dealers that are listed on the Tiger Technology website. There is no "cheapest place" - the software is VERY inexpensive, and yes, you need a seperate license for every computer, and your server. And you need to have the hardware configured - which means a server computer, your disk drives, and your switch (either fibre or ethernet). The MetaSAN software is the least expensive part of putting together a shared storage environment. The drives, switch, server, and knowlege to cable all of this up, and make it work costs A LOT MORE than the MetaSAN software. So if you think you are going to spend $995 for some software, and have shared storage, you are mistaken.

Contact a dealer off the Tiger Technology website, and you will have great success with this product.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Apr 14, 2009 at 4:16:32 pm

Sir

I am fairly familiar with the hardware that needs to be setup for a San so I understand the costs involved. Someone sent me your creative cow post on a low cost San and I wanted
to see how viable it is for our setup. You were somewhat unclear in the software aspect so this is why I am wondering what the deal is with licensing and what not.

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Apr 14, 2009 at 10:58:09 pm

Talk to Bernard Lamborelle (bernard@tiger-technology.com) for sales info, he's very helpful.

I'm a MetaSAN customer - it's a powerful product one but I strongly regret not hiring an integrator to do the job. Learn from my mistakes!

It's $999 per Fibre Channel seat, though the MetaLAN Gigabit Ethernet clients are only $299, a great bargain for full SAN features for SD or ProRes workflows.

Call an integrator, or get a support contract with the vendor (Tiger uses third-party vendors to sell the software). Yes, they cost money, but you'll save MONTHS of stress and time lost.

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, MetaSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Apr 15, 2009 at 3:37:25 am

You seem to have answered my "question" to my satisfaction. How do I mark this as solved or something of that nature?

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
on Apr 14, 2009 at 3:27:42 pm

Ian,

Bob is right.

What's the problem you are trying to solve by thinking that you need to buy this software?

Perhaps Bob, or myself, or someone else here, can lend some alternative direction for you to look into that may be more cost productive.

Thanks,

Matt G

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]