FORUMS: list search recent posts

Distance

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caleb Armstrong
Distance
on Feb 26, 2009 at 9:13:45 pm

I posted this in the Broadcast forums but I don't think that was the appropriate place.

I'm involved in a studio build-out and I'm trying to figure out far a signal will travel over fiber channel before there is any degradation or you latency when you're editing.

Any info would be sweet. Thanks!

point9@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Distance
on Feb 27, 2009 at 4:48:40 am

I'm involved in a studio build-out and I'm trying to figure out far a signal will travel over fiber channel before there is any degradation or you latency when you're editing.

REPLY - you are kidding, right ? There is no latency. If your fibre converters are doing an A/D conversion, there might be propogation delay, but the digital signal transmitted over an optical cable has no effective delay (like in milliseconds, that would affect an audio/video delay for example). Are you going to transmit cameras between state lines, or across the building ? Across the building - right ? There is no delay. If you are talking about "delay" that comes from reading off of a fibre channel drive array - again, there is no delay (yes, not even if it is 500' or even 1000').

Any info would be sweet. Thanks!

REPLY - sweet dude, bitchin cool

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Caleb Armstrong
Re: Distance
on Feb 27, 2009 at 8:43:54 pm

Thanks for the info Bob!

point9@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved