FORUMS: list search recent posts

FC SAN setup with Windows box

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
parker Gowan
FC SAN setup with Windows box
on Feb 26, 2009 at 6:54:39 pm

In all the systems you guys have set up - have you actually tried using a PC comp to run the storage off of while the edit systems were all macs (in our case G5s) running fcp?

I know Bob, you had mentioned several times that theoretically it was possible - but at the time you had not tried?

Is there any reason this might not work - if i went straight from Bob's SAN setup instructions - only swapping out the mac and the small tree card?

Thanks for any help, comments or thoughts!

Parker

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: FC SAN setup with Windows box
on Feb 27, 2009 at 4:51:02 am

what you are REALLY asking is "I have a PC lying around here, and we want to use it as a server - will this work". I doubt that you are interested in buying the latest fastest blade server for this application.

Cheap setups don't work. Even the systems that I describe don't work unless you put a lot of "stuff" into them, like expensive RAM, fast disk drives, etc. There is a big difference between "working" and "working reliably" .

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

parker Gowan
on Feb 27, 2009 at 5:55:06 pm

"what you are REALLY asking is "I have a PC lying around here, and we want to use it as a server - will this work"

I don't want to do the recycle thing exactly - although whatever we DO have and can use - the bettter. I am honestly interested in what it would take to make this setup work with a PC at the center and not a mac. I have read your posts and realize that you have not tried this directly - was hoping you or someone you know - or someone else here on the forum might have found success in this area - primarily because i do have strong IT support - but strong in the windows world.

". I doubt that you are interested in buying the latest fastest blade server for this application."

So what you say about the simple Mac computer you don't think applies to a windows comp at the center - I'm talking using all the additions you mention - 4 port card - managed switch and applicable software - will that PC heart and Mac muscle make for a fully functioning SAN man?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 28, 2009 at 5:58:43 pm

the basis of everything I talked about is APPLE FILE SHARING which is on the "server". Microsoft doesnt offer Apple File Sharing. Can you use Microsoft Networking, and then enable the SMB function on the MAC's to make it see the PC server. I don't know - maybe - ask your "muscle" IT WinXP department. You don't need to buy anthing to try this. You can try it right now, with what you own. IF you can read a write a single quicktime file, and then read it back from the PC server at your company off your MAC (even if it's not fast enough to play back in real time), then it will work.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Mar 1, 2009 at 9:51:22 am

Parker,

SMB file sharing is too slow on the Mac end. Don't even bother trying it. I think there's an app for AFP on Windows, but it's expensive (like more than a Mac Pro would cost). MetaLAN runs on Windows. You could look into that.

You can also Google "FreeNAS". That's the only practical option for AFP sharing on a PC server. It's not as fast as using a real Mac server though.

The reason I've experimented with all this stuff is not because I had a cheap PC lying around. I happen to already have several high-end server PCs, quad and dual-port gigabit cards, several RAID cards, tons of drives, and a managed switch. I've tried to make good use of this stuff for the sake of not being wasteful. Tons of options for "shared editing" but to have reliable capture and layback at the same time - it hasn't happened yet. If I needed reliable high-performance shared storage today, I'd purchase a fibre channel SAN and update my MetaSAN licenses. My point being, if you don't already have all that stuff, don't bother getting a PC working as a server for Macs. Not worth it.

Sean

Return to posts index

parker Gowan
on Mar 2, 2009 at 5:57:40 pm

Much help,

Thank you Bob and Sean for taking the time to respond - will lobby the money dudes for the extra mac and software - so prob won't happen in the next 6 months!

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Mar 7, 2009 at 5:11:43 pm

If you're looking to spend a lot of money, and these days, who isn't, you can check out
"Stornext" which is the PC version of Apple's X-SAN. These two file systems are "allegedly" compatible, but I've never tried it myself.

http://www.quantum.com/Products/Software/StorNext/Index.aspx

mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]