FORUMS: list search recent posts

Affordable SAN Question re: MetaLan

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morgan Drmaj
Affordable SAN Question re: MetaLan
on Feb 15, 2009 at 9:17:44 pm

Reposting my questions in the SAN Forum --

RE: Build your own affordable SAN -- that works!

Bob, thanks again the amazing info on building a lower cost SAN.

I'm going to try it out in the coming month...

One question -- with the MetaLan software are all of your RAID arrays combined into one storage volume or could I have separate volumes.

Specifically, if I have two HD Ones and want to put them on the same 'server', can I have them show up as two separate volumes. Or do I have to reformat them to show up as one big volume?

I really don't want to have to reformat my drives if I don't have to...

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Affordable SAN Question re: MetaLan
on Feb 17, 2009 at 4:19:22 am

One question -- with the MetaLan software are all of your RAID arrays combined into one storage volume or could I have separate volumes.

REPLY -
we have found that for small simple systems, SAN management software like Tiger Technologies is not really necessary. MetaSAN is fantastic for larger workgroups, and for clusters of servers, but for a small facility with just a couple of MAC's, you don't need anything but Apple File Sharing, and a managed ethernet switch that supports link aggregation. You can use just one drive volume, but these days, I prefer to have multiple volumes (one per edit system)all on the shared computer that acts as your server. Anyone can share, but if you keep each editor writing to their own volume, you will eliminate most of the management nightmares (where are my files !).

Specifically, if I have two HD Ones and want to put them on the same 'server', can I have them show up as two separate volumes. Or do I have to reformat them to show up as one big volume?

REPLY - you can and SHOULD keep them as 2 seperate volumes. The HD One from Cal Digit is a fantastic product. Stick both arrays on your shared MAC Pro, set up a link agg switch, run ethernet into each of your FCP stations, assign dedicated IP's, turn on file sharing on the shared MAC, and start sharing media. You DO NOT have to reformat or reconfiture your drives. And when your shared mac dies, just take your drives, put them back on your local FCP systems, and go back to work.

I really don't want to have to reformat my drives if I don't have to...

REPLY - you dont' have to - EVER.

Learn about link aggregation, and how to link agg a switch before you proceed with this project.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matt Geier
on Feb 17, 2009 at 4:22:13 pm

Morgan,

Bob is right! - Software like Tiger Technologies will only really shine in environments that are big and complex, like clusters etc.

What you are trying to implement is something that Small Tree is known World Wide for and have Post Houses and Video Editors doing successfully.

Small Tree would suggest taking your storage and putting it onto an XServe with enough memory to sustain your client access and Final Cut editing needs. (I assume you're using Final Cut??)

Installing a Small Tree network card that you can use to Link Aggregate ports together, creating a bandwidth pipe to be used for Jumbo Frame network which will support and house your video editors.

Implement a Managed Switch between your Server and Clients to support your Link Aggregate. (Just like Bob said)

If you are looking for an end to end solution that you would like to have Supported by Small Tree, we can pre-configure the needed items so that you can unbox, so some simple set up with our Support, and get to working!

Let me know if you'd like to discuss this further. Feel free to email or call ...

Matt G
Small Tree
651-209-6509 x 1

Matt G.

Return to posts index

Morgan Drmaj
on Feb 17, 2009 at 11:09:46 pm

Hi Matt,

I left you a message this morning.

Please give me a shout when you have a chance.

416-707-3762

Thanks.

Morgan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]