FORUMS: list search recent posts

Expanding a Volume Definition with MetaSAN

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan White
Expanding a Volume Definition with MetaSAN
on Jan 31, 2009 at 7:13:29 am

Greetings. I've just added another RAID pile on my XRAID, which is on a separate controller. I've initialized it & formatted it, and we've been able to successfully add it to MetaSAN, where it appears as a separate volume (SAN1 & SAN2).

I'd really like for the whole thing (both RAID sets) to act as one logical volume for performance purposes. Is it possible to "expand" the RAID definition without wiping the data on the first set? If I have to, that's okay - it's double-backed-up - do I need to look at my RAID Admin, Disk Utility, or is there a way to do it in MetaSAN?

Thanks for any suggestions.

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, MetaSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

Allan White
Re: Expanding a Volume Definition with MetaSAN
on Feb 3, 2009 at 9:31:15 pm

Apparently, this question didn't have much traction with this community! That's okay, because I found the answer - I thought I'd post it for the next poor soul with this question. My SAN consultant is an XSAN guru, and as MetaSAN does things a little differently, it wasn't clear if I should look to the SAN software for grouping LUNs into a volume, or at Apple's tools.

The solution was to remove the two volumes (created after adding a second RAID set, to fill the XRAID) from the MetaSAN definition, create a RAID 0 ("striped") set comprised of the two RAID5 sets in Disk Utility. Pretty simple, actually. While it did wipe the first set (it's okay, double-backed up!), creating the new, combined RAID definition only took a few seconds.

Performance is now excellent (160mb/sec for one client)! Now to copy back allll the data...

PS: MetaSAN/LAN has been great, it's cheaper and very flexible (as well as cross-platform). Highly recommended, but DO hire a SAN consultant - I wish I had from the start.

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, MetaSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]