FORUMS: list search recent posts

MetaSAN/LAN

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew FX
MetaSAN/LAN
on Sep 19, 2008 at 3:19:28 pm

Quick Question, will this setup work:
-MacPro with attached RAID via sSATA running MetaSAN also running as a edit suite FCP
-MacPro's (running MetaLAN Client) attatched via gigabit through a switch connected to aggregate connection to the MetaSAN system running FCP

I hope the advantage of this system would be to have one suite capable of 2K editing while the others compressed HD and SD/injest stations.

Our intention is to eventually move to fibre, however we wonder if this system would work in the short term.

Andrew Scholotiuk
http://www.scholotiuk.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: MetaSAN/LAN
on Sep 21, 2008 at 4:31:26 pm

your question is not clear to me. To my knowlege, there is no way to do a SAN or NAS without having a dedicated computer as your server. You can't share a workstation. So if you have BIG DRIVES local to one MAC Pro, this system can do 2K, but it can't also be the "shared storage" array to the other clients, because you are busy working on this system doing 2K.

What you can do is build a system with a dedicated computer as your server. Put drives on there - use MetaSAN/LAN to share these drives. One of your workstations can have a DEDICATED drive array (like Dulce, Maxx Digital, G-Tech, Sonnet, Cal Digit) which can be used for local 2K work). If there is a SAN out there that can handle 2K, I don't know what it is - at any price.

MetaSAN/LAN can absolutely handle multiple systems doing compressed HD, like DVCProHD and ProRes422HQ (but not 2K - not to my knowlege).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]