Gluster FIle System???
on May 28, 2008 at 4:32:11 pm

Has anyone heard of this:
http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS

Return to posts index

Chris Blair
Re: Gluster FIle System???
on May 30, 2008 at 2:28:47 am

We researched a few of these open-source cluster file system apps while we were looking at build-it-yourself shared storage systems.

But after a couple days of reading and asking questions, I decided I'd have to buy stock in Excedrin if I were to tackle any of them. I'd stick with the pros in this area...Tiger Technology has a great solution that's specifically for video editing, and there are a number of others out there as well. They're all fairly pricey, but how many hours would you end up spending figuring out a free, open source, largely untested software app versus paying for one that's proven and working in broadcast facilities?

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN
http://www.videomi.com

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on May 30, 2008 at 3:00:48 am

I'm actually a MetaSAN customer. I was researching Lustre (the real one) and I came across this thing that supposedly works on OSX. You're right, it's totally impractical, and even if someone got it to work it doesn't work with SAN disks (it just shares the file system over TCP/IP).

Sean

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 30, 2008 at 9:49:23 pm

I dont' even know the answer to simple questions. At NAB2008, I asked some of the Asian drive vendors that were "supposedly" able to handle 128 devices - can modern operating systems (Win XP, MAC OS-X 10.5) even address 128 Terabytes properly. And with the promised delivery of Hitachi 4TB drives in 2009, this means that 128TB storage farms will be able to grow to 512 Terabytes (1/2 Pedabyte), so will current OS of MAC and even Vista be able to address this amount of storage ? I never got a straight answer.

128 Terabytes of storage is 16 8TB boxes, and with SAS port expanders, this is very do-able today, and will be even cheaper next year.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on May 30, 2008 at 11:50:38 pm

I think it's up to the file system how much it can address, not so much the OS. Looking on Wikipedia, it says HFS+ can handle up to 8 exabytes, NTFS can handle 16 exabytes. ZFS can handle 2 exabytes to the 18th power! So I think Mac and Windows are fine for a long time, and when Mac gets ZFS it will be fine for the next thousand years.

Linux is further behind I guess. Ext2 & 3 can only address 32TB. But ext4 is being developed.

Sean

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]