FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendations for a SAN

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
R Walter
Recommendations for a SAN
on Feb 1, 2007 at 11:17:26 am

Our facility wants to install a SAN, so I'm trying to do a bit of research as to what we need. We have 4 FCP edit stations which should have simultaneous access, but wouldn't need multiple streams. Since we do a lot of green screen we would like to capture uncompressed, but our final output will be a DV format - DVCAM for now, but we'll probably move up soon.

Any recommendations? Fibre or Ethernet? XSan or something else? What kind of switcher? Each computer needs a card, does it not? I'm a novice at networks.

Thanks,

Roland Walter

Return to posts index

Shane Sokolosky
Re: Recommendations for a SAN
on Feb 2, 2007 at 10:57:53 pm

Hey Roland,

There are quite a few options out there, if all 4 edit stations are capturing uncompressed 8 Bit SD then your looking at 90 MB/s (actually in the 80's but just to be safe). So the one thing you want to make sure of is that your storage is capable of that at the very least, then next thing you'll want to consider is how much storage you'll need (i.e. how many hours of uncompressed are captured for each project and are four projects going to be going at the same time?) The SAN is built around the storage and connectivity those are the most important parts, the rest is all about how you want to manage it and what best suits your workflow which brings us to the next important part - SAN management software, there are many options out there including
Apple's XSAN http://www.apple.com/support/xsan/
Studio Network Solutions' SANmp http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/content/products/sanmp/default.asp
these are a couple of my favorites and the ones I have most experience with but there are many others also.

Feel free to email me or call if youd like to talk about some options,

Shane Sokolosky
Circuit Access

Email - heysomthin@aol.com
Phone - (714) 599-1611

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Feb 3, 2007 at 8:07:22 am

In doing green screen, you need to avoid compression artifacts at all cost so that you can have the cleanest keys. Otherwise, you will be wasting a ton of time and money cleaning up the keys. For capture, stay away from DV and DVCAM. In fact, also stay away from any format that uses either a 4:1:1 or 4:2:0 color space.

As to SANs, I would also check out MetaSAN. We find it to be simpler to administer, more versatile, and more stable than XSAN. Did I mention their incredible support? Check it out here...

http://www.tiger-technology.com/

Jeff Bernstein

Digital Desktop Consulting
Apple Pro Video VAR
XSAN Certified

323-653-7611

Return to posts index

Bob Buruchian
on Mar 13, 2007 at 3:59:09 pm

I have been told MetaSan is good as well, Jeff how many workstations editing have you set up? . How do you handle space quotas and permissions with MetaSan?

I have have an installation with at least 7 stations .

I also looked at the facilis system any thoughts

Thanks

Bob

ITV
Boca Raton Florida

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Apr 7, 2007 at 8:45:27 pm

We have SANs as large as 30 workstations. It works quite well. Space quotas are not a feature. Speed quotas for both minimum and maximum are, however. Permissions can be handled in a variety of way, R/W Everyone, Volume Permissions, or File Security through either Active Directory or Open Directory.

Facilis is also a good system, but it is a volume-based SAN.

Jeff Bernstein

Digital Desktop Consulting
Apple Pro Video VAR
XSAN Certified

323-653-7611

Return to posts index

Joe Huggins
on May 1, 2007 at 7:46:29 pm

Jeff,

You note incredible support from MetaSan? We found just the opposite. We spoke to a person who took your name and problem who did not know about the system and he relayed messages. We were Mac based. It never seemed to function long-term so we de-installed it.

Did I miss something here?

Thanks, Film Joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]