FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best software for serverless SAN?

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Peele
Best software for serverless SAN?
on Nov 2, 2006 at 12:48:26 pm

Aloha everyone!

I keep revisiting the possibility of buying a SAN system, and this time I am getting really close.
The constantly lowering prices on 4Gb arrays, 4Gb HBA's, and 750GB SATA's has got me thinking that a total solution is near.

My biggest sticking point is the SAN sharing software. Between the issues of speed and reliability coupled with prices in the $800-$1500 per client and migration from one to the next being an issue (most likely), its not a choice I want to take lightly.

I am looking to avoid solutions that require a dedicated metadata controller because of the cost and complexity. Considering a gigabit Ethernet switch is a whopping $50, I have no issue creating a high speed network if needed for the SAN software. So I have narrowed down my choices to Commandsoft FibreJet, Tiger Technologies MetaSAN, and Charismac FibreShare.

FibreJet seems to be the most mature, MetaSAN is getting all sorts of good hype, and FibreShare seems to have the best price point.
Which to choose?!?!

My needs are simple: Shared access for 2 (maybe 3 in the future) workstations. Only one of the workstations will be in HD, and compressed at that (although UC HD will be an eventuality).

I am also looking for any recommendations on 16bay/4gb/SATA RAID arrays.

Thanks everyone,
Mike

Return to posts index

blambore
Re: Best software for serverless SAN?
on Nov 2, 2006 at 7:20:25 pm

That here are different approaches to SAN management. Drop me an email and I will forward you a white paper entitled "The one fit-for-all SAN management software does not exist". This document provides a good overview of the various SAN approaches and provides pros and cons for each of them. It might help you.

You might also be interrested in reading this independent review of MetaSAN by Graeme Nattress (maker of special effects filter for FCP, and key developer on the Red camera project): http://www.lafcpug.org/reviews/review_metasan.html

I believe his setup is very similar to what you are trying to achieve.

Cheers,

Bernard Lamborelle
Tiger Technology
514-667-2015
bernard @ tiger-technology dot com

Return to posts index

Chuck McMakin
on Nov 4, 2006 at 12:34:33 am

Hi Mike.

CommandSoft's FibreJet solution won't require you to buy that Ethernet switch at all. Everything the FibreJet software does to manage the volumes is handled over the actual fibre fabric. No Ethernet bottlenecks to impact your performance!

If you are interested in DEMO licenses of FibreJet, we can arrange those too.

Feel free to contact me any time.

Best Regards,
-Chuck McMakin
CommandSoft, Inc.
(805)730-7772
http://www.commandsoft.com
chuck@commandsoft.com

Return to posts index

Priit Poldmaa
on Nov 4, 2006 at 7:47:06 pm

Mike,

We have used MetaSAN for a while on PC
and are totally satisfied.

I would be glad answer any more future question you may have.

Priit

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 21, 2007 at 10:01:52 pm

do all of these options require fibre channel? how about going all gigabit like lanshare or avidshare. obviously fibre is faster, but what if that's out of our budget. im interested in having 2 computers cutting dvcprohd at the same time. ive been looking at freenas at freenas.org via gb 4x500 raid 0 array
thanks -c

Return to posts index

Lauren Halnis
on Jul 27, 2009 at 8:58:56 am

Starwind good I am using the server for the same purposes. Has no cluster / client sans grouped as access control, But I installed vmfs, Therefore the file system is responsible for the customer type the command

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]