FORUMS: list search recent posts

SAN Choices

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Tecson
SAN Choices
on Oct 15, 2006 at 5:59:02 pm

I'm toying with the idea of implelementing a SAN in my workflow and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light. I currently work on a NAS/gigabit environment and would like the same functionality, only faster. So I guess what I need is a file-level based SAN. This would bring me to 3 options that I know of; Apple XSAN, Bright Systems, and Tiger tech's new MetaSAN. Anyone care to give the time to differentiate the functionality between the three? A summery of my setup would be;

- around 10 to 15 2D/3D visual effects stations.
- 4 HD uncompressed workstations.

All are PC/Windows based with the possibility of adding a few Apple stations in the future.

Thanks so much

Return to posts index

Bart Harrison
Re: SAN Choices
on Oct 15, 2006 at 6:16:25 pm

You need to find yourself a good VAR you can trust. If you've got four uncompressed HD workstations in the mix and plan to add more in the future you'll need boocu planning and extremely fast SAN hardware. I don't recommend you attempt this without the services of a seasoned professional.

Bart

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bart Harrison
MPA - The HD Suite

America's VAR
TurnKey Editing Systems, Storage Area Networks
HD Consulting, Production & Post, Exhibition & Distribution
http://www.hdsuite.com
954-894-1221

Return to posts index

Howard Solomon
Re: SAN Choices
on Oct 25, 2006 at 1:34:24 am

Hi,

We have been working with several projects that are using MetaSAN and XSan. Depending upon the hardware you use the results can be great or a disaster.

Not all storage is capable of providing multiple HD Streams. Many run out of steam very quickly when you are trying to have 3 or 4 streams play back concurrently.

It is also necessary to look at the SAN switch set up to make sure that you have sufficient bandwidth.

Also, read a recent review of MetaSAN:
read a recemt review--> http://www.lafcpug.org/reviews/review_metasan.html

If I can help, get in touch.

HS
631-479-2401

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]