FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best VOLUME locking SAN for use with PictureReady and FCP on Mac

COW Forums : SAN - Storage Area Networks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve
Best VOLUME locking SAN for use with PictureReady and FCP on Mac
on Aug 21, 2006 at 3:12:37 pm

Hi,
I'm putting together two G5 workstations connected to an XServe RAID. The plan is to use a Volume Locking SAN so that each workstation can mount one side of the RAID as Read and Write and the other side as Read Only (so Mac A would mount side A of the raid as R/W and side B of the raid as R/O - Mac B would mount side B of the raid at R/W and side A as R/O). Mac B would be running Gallery's PictureReady software to do a capture to side B of the raid, and Mac A would be able to access that footage while it is still being captured on Mac B.

So what's the best Volume Locking SAN out there for this sort of thing? I want to stay away from a file locking SAN like XSan because this system is going to be portable and we don't need the extra expense, complexity and weight of bringing around metadata controllers.

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Best VOLUME locking SAN for use with PictureReady and FCP on Mac
by
on Aug 22, 2006 at 9:41:50 pm

FibreJet from Commandsoft.com. Very easy to set up, very reliable, uses standard MacOSX HFS+ volumes. I haven

Return to posts index

Nate Cooper
on Aug 23, 2006 at 4:20:08 am

I work for SNS, makers of SANmp, so I guess you could say I have a biased opinion ;). But, I've used PictureReady with SANmp many times before. It works great with our Sync feature which updates read only volumes without the need to unmount and remount the volume. In fact if you have the PictureReady clip in a time line of a FCP project and use the Sync feature, FCP will auto update the file with the newly captured infomation. Pretty sweet.

Return to posts index

chrispy
on Aug 25, 2006 at 2:55:52 pm

Hi Nate...does the Sync feature unmount & remounts the volume again or is it a dynamic update of the volume ?

And how much performance hit does it inflict with the AutoSync enabled ?

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Nate Cooper
on Aug 28, 2006 at 5:50:45 pm

Hey Chirspy, the Sync feature automatically updates mounted volumes. This is accomplished without unmounting/remounting a volume, allowing the user to keep applications like Final Cut Pro open while sycing.

As far as performance hits the OS takes, it depends on many facts such as how many files are on the drive and the size of the drive and what kind of computer you have. In general it takes up processing resources for half a second to three seconds. So when an editor runs a 'sync' feature, by the time they are back in their main application the sync has completed.

Return to posts index

chrispy
on Aug 29, 2006 at 9:05:28 am

Hi Nate,

Thanks for your update.

Can the Sync feature be set to update a particular volume or volume(s) at a set interval ?

Say if one system is doing a capture and another system does a Sync on the same volume, will it affect the system doing the capturing ?

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Nate Cooper
on Aug 31, 2006 at 3:56:05 pm

Yes, the sync feature is per volume, you can have sync enabled on a single volume and not on any others. This can be set at whatever interval the admin chooses. The SANmp Client application also has a 'sync' button which allows user to force a sync command if the admin has not set up auto sync.

As far as performance hits, it is generally on the workstation that has the volume mounted Read Only. I have had several customers that ran the sync command during captures on other workstations with no dropped frames.

However, that being said, it of course depends on your hardware. In other words if your running the capture on an old G4 with a single JBOD drive, you're much more likely to have issues than if you have a Dual/Quad G5 with a FC to SATA array behind it.

Return to posts index

Francois Stark
on Sep 9, 2006 at 3:08:14 pm

Hi Chrispy and Nate

I feel I have to come in here. We've had SanMP for about 17 months now - 4 FCP suites and 3 Pro Tools suites.

When we started out, on Panther (os X.3) Sync was working. But autosync on one station would always stop any capture or playback on that system when it syncs, so we disabled it. Manual sync is more efficient - you know when the system syncs, and you do it when not capturing or playing out.

Then sync stopped working in Tiger for os X.4.1 to X.4.5. Recently SanMP released a software update (V1.6) that works from os X.4.6, with sync re-enabled again. I've had some problems installing this update, and I'm still not sure if the actual update or a seperate hardware problem caused
the problems. I'm starting a seperate thread on this issue.

I have not tried it with Pictureready, but it seems like this would work quite well. You should be able to edit from the clip being captured, and every time you hit sync, you get more material to work with.

Regards
Francois

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]