FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording Sound Into Panasonic DV Camera

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Williams
Recording Sound Into Panasonic DV Camera
on Jan 22, 2018 at 12:46:13 pm

Hi, I am using a Panasonic mini-Dv camera, and it has a 1/4 inch jack mic input. Can you record sound at a line level into that input? Such as the output from a PA, 4 track recorder, or stereo? What I am trying to do is film a band practice session but instead of using a mic on the camera (external or internal) I thought it would sound better to run the output from the PA straight into the camera, so you do no’t have all the general noise from the room and outside.

The only input for sound on the camera is the mic jack input socket. There is also a reversed D shaped A/V socket next to it but I think that is output only. i.e audio-video output to use with the red, white and yellow phono leads (with an adapter) into an analogue device. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gareth

Return to posts index

Gareth Williams
Re: Recording Sound Into Panasonic DV Camera
on Mar 29, 2018 at 11:50:56 am

Hi, I thought I’d have another go at this post because I can’t find much else on the subject. Is there an adapter you can get that allows you to record a line signal into a mic input on a video camera or would I need to get a new video camera?

Thanks,
Gareth

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 29, 2018 at 2:50:35 pm

you need a good line to mic attenuator as line is much stronger. at least 50db should be good.

Return to posts index

Gareth Williams
on Mar 30, 2018 at 8:34:31 pm

Thanks Chris, I'll look into those next week. I'm also thinking of just getting a new video camera. Depends which is most practical at the end of the day. A video camera with a line input might not have some of the other features I need so I'll look into the “ line to mic attenuator” first.

I'm a bit concerned about setting the level to send (from the mixer) because my video camera does not have any audio input controls so there's no way of knowing if the camera is receiving a signal level that's too high or too low, or just right. Not until I import it into Premiere later, so (if I use the attenuator) the first time I do this it will be trial and error!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]