FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 Camera Projection Switching & Monitoring

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Ferro
2 Camera Projection Switching & Monitoring
on Jul 8, 2017 at 3:57:59 am

Hi,
I'm new here. Not new to shooting or editing (15+ years exp.) but I am about to take on a project that is neither & both of those things and I need some help.
I am being hired by a performance artist to direct a live video production. I will try my best to describe what is needed.
There will be 2 cameras (Panasonic GH4s) that she wants projected live during the performance, switching back and forth between one shot to another at key moments. It is my understanding that I will need to have an hdmi output switcher in order to achieve that.
As the controller of the live projections, I will also need to be able to monitor both feeds, which I assume means I will need a separate monitor wired to each camera.
This already poses concern because both switchers and monitors use hdmi, not to mention the stress of having so many things hooked up at once. I realize there are fancy shmancy pieces of equipment that can take care of all of this for me but so far the budget is non-existent for this project. However, I believe its important enough for her that if she has to spend some money she will.
Another aspect is that the desire is not to have the projections up during the entire performance, only at specific times so I will need an easy/non intrusive way to turn off/on the image.
Sound is not necessary.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: 2 Camera Projection Switching & Monitoring
on Jul 12, 2017 at 2:06:18 pm

Check out the Black Magic Designs ATEM Television Studio. It will do everything you need to do in a small, self contained package. Here's a link:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemtelevisionstudiohd

If they can't buy one, depending on your area, it may be possible to rent a unit.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

Patrick Donegan
Re: 2 Camera Projection Switching & Monitoring
on Nov 10, 2017 at 2:02:43 am

How did the project turn out?

FCP X 10.2.3 - user since FCP 1.25
iMac mid 2011, MBA mid 2012
iPhone 4
HVX-200, Shure wireless mic
Miller Solo tripod
Advanta-Jib