FORUMS: list search recent posts

Varicam LT audio ingested as stereo mix, need just the boom channel.

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Gospodinovich
Varicam LT audio ingested as stereo mix, need just the boom channel.
on Apr 19, 2017 at 3:12:10 pm

We had the camera mic plugged into input 3 (channels 1/3) and the boom plugged to input 4 (channels 2/4). Ive tried ingesting through Prelude, and also just browsing to the .mxf files in the AVCLIP folder in Premiere Pro. The footage keeps coming in as two stereo tracks. I can see that the waveform is the same for all four channels. In the P2viewer plus software I can output only channel 2 or 4 and hear the clean boom audio, but I have yet to find a way to ingest the footage with these tracks Isolated and not mixed stereo with channels 1 and 3. I have tried panning left and right with all of the tracks, I have tried to modify the stereo tracks to mono, isolating each channel individually and I always hear a mix of the camera mic and boom mic. The ONLY way I can hear the clean audio thus far is by choosing channel 2 or 4 on playback in P2viewerplus. But I can do that, so I know the data is there, I just cannot at all figure out how to ingest or isolate the boom channel either upon ingest or in Premiere. Please Help!

Return to posts index

Dan Geller
Re: Varicam LT audio ingested as stereo mix, need just the boom channel.
on May 30, 2017 at 3:42:29 pm

Looks like there is a serious regression bug that came into being starting with cc 2017 11.0.2, that wasn't there before. In previous versions with the Panasonic LT codec, Premiere would make several PEK files upon import of a clip (2 if on the Varicam LT you recorded a two stereo pairs, 3 if you recorded two mono and a stereo pair, 4 if you recorded four mono channels). Now Premiere is making only a single PEK file of Channel 1 audio from the camera - and ignoring all the other tracks, though it will place four tracks worth of that channel 1 audio onto your timeline, replicating itself four times, thinking that it's putting four unique tracks of recorded audio into place.

Return to posts index

Dan Geller
Re: Varicam LT audio ingested as stereo mix, need just the boom channel.
on May 30, 2017 at 10:03:07 pm

Here's what I've learned, in concert with another Varicam LT user in Sweden who talked with some Adobe people. As of 11.1.1, the issue has been largely resolved. I'm not clear whether the 11.1.1 version even creates PEK files anymore from Varicam LT files - could use some clarification here.

In any case, 11.1.1 does have a few weirdnesses with audio. The waveforms in the timeline will show as identical across all the Varicam footage tracks until zoomed nearly all the way in - at that point the waveforms show their true individual profiles. Audio does play properly as the unique channels no matter what the zoom size.

Also, proxy files generated via 11.0.2 need to be trashed (the mov and the pek files) and regenerated for the audio to work properly.

I've updated and tested things - so my report is based on my tests this morning. I also trashed the caches and databases before testing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]