FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking at this camera for two business needs - Legal Video and Online Magazine Media

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oron Crawford
Looking at this camera for two business needs - Legal Video and Online Magazine Media
on Apr 13, 2017 at 7:26:36 pm

So I am in need of a full setup, camera, desktop (or laptop) , Lav Mics , maybe an Omni directional mic or boom also. I've got a list of the different cameras I've been researching, but any and all suggestions and advice will be very much appreciated.

I am purchasing the camera for two business opportunities. My videography experience is limited, but I have done some in the past.

So what I'm needing the perfect setup for:

A very cool opportunity has came my way, an attorney has offered to let me be his legal videographer for all his depositions. (But I will be offering my services to all attorneys, starting a legal videography business)

For Legal Videography the lions share of filming will be depositions. Video quality isn't huge requirements for that, but either burnt in date and time is required and/or burnt in timecode. There will be "Day in the Life" videos made for settlement cases occasional too.

Audio is key, so a good set of LAV's are required, I would like to go wireless but sound quality is a must and being able to stand up against cell phone interference. I'm not against using wired Lavs.

The pay for legal videography is really good and will be my main way of recouping costs. Along with equipment advice if there are any legal videographers

Now the other use (which will consist of my passion projects) is shooting content for an online magazine, this will mostly consist of documentary style sit down interviews and filming live events (Music shows, spoken word etc) and run and gun filming around town. Some of this may be in low light so a camera that can handle low light well and its built in mic (or a good boom mic) that can get good audio at music/live shows (when I am not able to plug into a sound board.)

Most of the content would be uploaded on to the website, but I would like to eventually offer local businesses (probably those who advertise with the website) shooting of low-budget simple commercials either for their website or broadcast if they so choose.

I know Legal Video doesn't require a lot on the video quality end and most my other use will be for online loading, I would still like to have something that will not seem too outdated or obsolete.

I would like to try and stay under 5k for everything (Camera, Computer, Audi equipment) Im also planning on using Adobes Premiere Pro and getting the whole bundle they offer for $20 a month.

The Camera I have been looking at is:

Panasonic AG-UX90 4K/HD Professional Camcorder

Its the Asus-Zenbook-UX501VW-XS74T-TOUCHSCREEN
Specs are
Display: 15.6" IPS UHD (3840 x 2160) Touchscreen Glossy Display | Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
Processor: 6th Gen Intel® Skylake Core i7-6700HQ Quad Core (2.6GHz-3.5GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W)
RAM: 24GB (8GB Onboard + 16GB) DDR4 2133MHz (Free Upgrade from 16GB) | Hard Drive: 1TB Intel 600p NVMe SSD (Seq. Read 1800MB/s, Seq. Write 560MB/s)

Return to posts index

Ed Onesev
Re: Looking at this camera for two business needs - Legal Video and Online Magazine Media
on Apr 14, 2017 at 8:48:47 pm

I cannot speak for the camera. However I will say that I advise against the ASUS Zenbook Pro UX501VW.

The UX501VW uses a PenTile (RG/BW) not-true-4K display. The RGB in each pixel is replaced with either only RG or only BW. This means you get all the risk for content scaling issues with 4K, without the full sharpness of 4K to "make up for it". ASUS does this on all their current high-res offerings, and it's commonly regarded to be deceptive marketing. See the sidebar on /r/SuggestALaptop/ for more info.

If you're in it for the high resolution, I'd seek out one of the laptops known to use *true* high-res displays. These are some of them:

Lenovo Y700 Touch 4K
- Go here to log into the discount:
- The $929 one here:
- Panel: Sharp LQ156D1JX03, 72% NTSC color gamut, I believe 97% sRGB.

Dell Inspiron 7567 4K
- Currently $1175. If it's more, search for a coupon.
- Inspiron 7559 4K is PenTile (RG/BW) not-true-4K. Only the 7567 is true 4K.
- If you're not going for the 4K model, I would skip this laptop unless you have specific plans to replace the LCD with a better one. Dell used a very low quality TN panel for the FHD versions of this laptop that I would say is worth avoiding regardless of whether you're doing photography and editing. See this:
- Panel: Sharp LQ156D1J### (SHP1450), 72% NTSC color gamut, 97% sRGB.

HP Pavilion 17 4K
- Offered UHD option is only the real deal on this 17.3" version, not the 15.6" version.
- ~100% Adobe RGB. You will likely want to calibrate this, or install a pre-made calibration profile. LCD: AUO B173ZAN01.0

Lenovo Yoga 720 4K
- LCD: BOE NV156QUH-### (BOE06F4), color gamut unconfirmed but probably 72% NTSC.

Dell XPS 15 4K
- Refurbs: (filter by model XPS 9550 and 9560. Sometimes a lot cheaper.)
- LCD: Sharp LQ156D1JW31. Near 100% Adobe RGB. You will likely want to calibrate this or install this pre-made calibration profile.

If you're not in it for the 4K, you might look at a Dell XPS or Dell Precision, FHD model. They have 72% NTSC / 97% sRGB coverage.

Return to posts index

Tim Kline
Re: Looking at this camera for two business needs - Legal Video and Online Magazine Media
on Apr 19, 2017 at 2:38:56 pm

Looks good on the computer. Although I would always suggest Mac first

Camera, I would look into the Panasonic GH5. It's just been released and is hands down the best all around camera ever made in our opinion.

Lighting: Generay LEDs are amazing and highly recommended for every kind of shoot.

Lav Mic: Sony UwP.

Timothy Kline
Production Manager
Hilo Motion Pictures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved