FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinelike D is more zoomed in, and I can't let in enough light! (with video)

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Cinelike D is more zoomed in, and I can't let in enough light! (with video)
on Jan 23, 2017 at 8:02:51 pm

Hey guys,

First of all, thanks for all of your help in advance... I know I must be missing something very very simple.

I just made this video to show you some of the issues that I'm having while setting my GH4.

Here's the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lin303lzz5q1i0a/IMG_1638.MOV?dl=0

Here's a quick list of the problems:

1. The Cinelike D setting ZOOMS the camera much further in... is that the only way to get 4k? I guess I'm just wondering what I'm 'losing' when zoomed out in the M or A modes, and why there's even a difference.

2. In "M" mode, I can change the F stop and the shutter speed individually, but when I adjust the F Stop, nothing gets any brighter! I was under the impression that F was your aperture, and raising and lowering the F stop would make the shot brighter. I works on my NEX-FS100 :-/

I guess the bottom line is that I don't have zebra stripes on my face at 70db, and I have to figure out how to let more light into the camera!

Your help would be very very much appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: Cinelike D is more zoomed in, and I can't let in enough light! (with video)
on Jan 23, 2017 at 9:57:44 pm

Hi Travis,

Turn the top dial to 'M' (Motion Picture). Bring up the 'Menu'. Select 'Motion Picture' menu. Go to menu 1/7. Select 'Exposure Mode'. Select 'M' (manual). Exit the menu. At the bottom on the screen display you should now have a display of the f stop and next to it the shutter speed. With the back rotator, you can change the shutter speed. With the top rotator you can adjust the f stop.

On the top dial where you select 'M' (Motion Picture), the other 'P', 'A', 'S', and 'M' are for stills.

When you select the 'Exposure Mode' from the 'Motion Picture' menu, selecting 'P' will give you automatic exposure, therefore there is no f stop or shutter speed displayed. Selecting 'A' is aperture priority and only the f stop will display. When you change this, the shutter speed will automatically change to keep the proper exposure, so you are still getting an auto exposure mode, just having the flexibility to select the f stop, perhaps to increase or decrease DOF. Select 'S' puts you in shutter priority mode and will only display the shutter speed. Like 'A', this is also auto exposure mode, which allows you to select the desired shutter, to perhaps stop fast action, but compensate by adjusting the f stop in the background. Only 'M' manual mode will provide the flexibility to independently set the f stop and shutter speed and change the exposure as you like.

Hope this helps....

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]