FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH5 or C100 Mark II

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Blackwell
GH5 or C100 Mark II
on Jan 9, 2017 at 6:23:55 pm

As the title says. The company I work for is going to purchase a new camera this year and was looking at the C100 Mark II. Now with the GH5 specs being released, I'm wondering how they compare and which would be better. We primarily shoot product examples, DIY, and talking head videos. Any advice or direction would be great!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: GH5 or C100 Mark II
on Jan 9, 2017 at 11:29:21 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Jan 9, 2017 at 11:30:13 pm

C100 is a more purpose built camcorder first and foremost. The GH5 is a stills camera that happens to have awesome video specs. But they are not the same budget ballpark as you could get two GH5 bodies for the cost of one C100.

Then there's the lens choices to consider. MFT vs EF etc.

Both are solid choices and it would be more a question of overall budget, what you're shooting and the glass you might already have available to leverage.

Noah

Call Box Panasonic Training
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Kyle Blackwell
on Jan 10, 2017 at 1:02:01 pm

Thanks for the helpful info. So as far as budgeting, the C100 has already been budgeted for. However, if the GH5 is cheaper, that isnt a problem. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what makes the C100 almost double the cost of the GH5? Comparing specs, which admittedly I'm not great at, it looks like the GH5 is alot better with C100 only having the built in XLR cables/ND filters going for it. I feel like I'm missing something. Having a true cinema camera is nice, but if the GH5 is better and can do more for half the price, why would you buy the C100? Sorry if I'm all over the place.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jun 23, 2017 at 12:32:31 am

Kyle, for the price you can buy the XLR/Line Input accessory for the GH5. And a bunch of neutral density filters. And the expensive but well designed Zakuto cage. And get 4K so you are future proofed. Canon has made no promises to upgrade the 100s to the 200s. If they offered me a reasonable price to switch out my C100, I might have stayed with their product line. As it is, I'm gone.

Al

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 10, 2017 at 2:20:39 am

both around 12.5 dynamic range
c100 Built in ND and on board XLR, slightly better lowlight, gh5 3.5mm mic
c100 internal AVCHD recording 4:2:0 signal, ninja external recorder $600 STILL 8 bit 4:2:2! , gh5 10 bit internal 4:2:2
max recording resolution: c100 HD, gh5 4k @60fps.

Return to posts index

erik cantu
on Jan 11, 2017 at 6:08:28 pm

You should get the GH5, Zyvik. :)

Erik Cantu
Video Producer
RadioU TV & Animal Basement
14 years experience as a fulltime broadcast shooter, editor & broadcast designer.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Feb 2, 2017 at 12:30:03 am

Having owned a C100 Mki and a GH4, I would say that if you don't mind shooting with the GH5, it would be a great camera to own. Product demoes in super slow mo needed? check. 4K cropping ? yep. The new feature set which I've watched a number of videos on, is superb. Panny has really done a job of listening to their customers. The addition of waveform, especially a polar pattern is something I had on the xf300 but Canon did *not* implement on the C100, It was the absolute best way to get a color balance in critical situations. Very disappointed in Canon not carrying that over. The GH5 has it. And a lot more.

While Panny says that long run times should be no problem, if you do them, that could make a difference. IDo you already have Canon glass? That could be an issue.

I love my C100 but find myself shooting on the GH4 more and more. I also shoot a lot of stills on my shoots, for the client and me, it's a no brainer with the GH4 to pull high quality product stills while shooting video.

I'm likely to buy a GH5 as well. Likely keep my C100 though for jobs where I want to look professional. Also probably better for long running stage shows, which I shoot. Not sure if you can swap SD cards in the new GH5 while the camera is recording.

Sorry for the rambling. It's been coffee break time.

Al

Return to posts index

Doru Hanganu
on Jun 22, 2017 at 10:04:06 am

I said that Canon C100 Mk2.
https://www.filmarefotografii.ro/filmari-nunta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]