FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing shutter speed and aperture individually on GH4... necessary?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Roesler
Changing shutter speed and aperture individually on GH4... necessary?
on Jan 5, 2017 at 2:37:12 am

Hey guys,

I could really use some help...

I'm trying to set the aperture and shutter speed for a good portrait... I have no idea where to begin.

I can't even figure out how to adust F (aperture) and SS (shutter speed) separately from each other, and I was under the impression that I wanted to do that.

Nevertheless... I'm trying to shoot something that looks like this:

Right now I have my F set around 3, and the GH4 is selection my SS automatically...

I'm shooting with a 45mm olympus lens!

I have no idea what other info I can give you guys, but thank you in advance for your help with this!

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: Changing shutter speed and aperture individually on GH4... necessary?
on Jan 5, 2017 at 3:45:58 pm

HI Travis,

Unless I'm missing something in your question......"M" is your friend.

Set your ISO to something other than 'A' (auto), such as '200'.

Set your dial to 'M' (manual).

Now you can set the shutter speed and f stop to obtain the exposure you seek.

On the dial, 'P' is auto exposure, the camera will set the aperture and shutter speed for proper exposure. 'A' is aperture priority, allowing you to set the f stop for depth of field and the shutter will automatically adjust for proper exposure. 'S' is shutter priority, allowing you to set a specific shutter speed to stop action and the aperture will automatically adjust for proper exposure. 'M' allows you to manipulate both the shutter and aperture (f stop) to set the exposure of your choice (provided you take the ISO setting off 'Auto'.

Hope this helps.....

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Jan 6, 2017 at 1:42:26 am

George, you are the man... thank you!

Return to posts index

Travis Roesler
on Jan 7, 2017 at 4:25:12 pm

Hey George,

I was able to replicate everything what you said, so thanks man. That said, I notice one strange thing...

When the camera is set on C1, C2, or C3 I hear a very nice and satisfying camera clicking sound when I click the button... I even feel the camera doing something!

On the M setting, and I think even the P setting for that matter, there is almost no indication that a picture has been taken...

So, I guess my question is.... what the heck is going on that I'm missing in those other settings?

Thanks again for your reply!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]