FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Dirty screen syndrome" when panning G7

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Sweden
"Dirty screen syndrome" when panning G7
on Aug 9, 2016 at 11:52:29 am
Last Edited By Duke Sweden on Aug 9, 2016 at 11:56:31 am

I've noticed that when I have my G7 on my steadicam, or when I'm panning on a tripod, I get a "dirty screen" effect that is usually attributed to less than top quality monitors, but I get the same pattern no matter which HDTV or computer monitor I watch it on. This is hardly "4K quality" one would come to expect given the high praise the G7 has been given.

Yet when looking back on all the video samples I checked out before buying I noticed no one ever pans their G7, it's always a static shot. Here's a sample, below. I was just quickly documenting the utter destruction that's coming near my home for the sake of a new highway, so don't expect Fellini ;-)

You can see it as I pan across the road, and when the sky comes into view. And, yes, even though the camera is a month old I cleaned the sensor and the lens.

You can also see it as I pan up in this video I shot yesterday while testing a variable ND filter that just came. Just to the right of center. This is a different kind of "dirt effect".

Return to posts index

Daniel Horn
Re: "Dirty screen syndrome" when panning G7
on Jan 2, 2017 at 8:17:57 am

That is called rolling shutter. A lot of 4K cameras have difficulty wit this right now but there's ways to prevent it such as not panning as fast or I think turning up your shutter speed will help. I assume that camera would shoot in progressive and not interlaced but make sure you're shooting P as well!

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Jan 2, 2017 at 12:47:49 pm

I know what rolling shutter looks like. I'm not talking about rolling shutter, I'm talking about what looks like shooting through a dirty window, except it follows your pan rather than stay in place. I've noticed it on videos shot with other cameras as well so it might just be a digital consumer/prosumer thing.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jan 3, 2017 at 4:08:35 pm

Make sure that you use a ND filter to keep the aperture from being too small-f16 or smaller. I've noticed on some Panasonic cameras that when the lens is closed down too far, the quality of the picture suffers greatly. It much depends on the size and type of the sensors. Try to keep the lens setting at around 5.6 or so. This seems to be the sweet spot for many cameras. Dial in some ND, get the iris open wider and see if it helps with the fixed pattern noise.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]