FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH4 video broken

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Newland
GH4 video broken
on Jul 15, 2016 at 6:48:44 pm

I have some video that was shot on a GH4 which seems to have been corrupted. It was an hour long interview shot as a 24fps, 100mbps .mov. The camera was stationary for the entire interview, and at no time did it loose power. The camera never registered an error during shooting, and the recording was ended by pressing the record button. After shooting my producer was able to transfer the footage which consisted of several 4.27GB files which all look like this image:

gh4brokenvideo.jpg

We had a lav for audio, but the video has nothing but static.

We were using a 64GB PNY UHS3 card. Now when I put the card in a computer it asks me to format it. When I put it in a GH4 it tells me there is a card error.

I know I'm probably not going to be able to salvage the video, but if anybody has an idea of what caused this, or how it could be avoided in the future I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
Re: GH4 video broken
on Jul 20, 2016 at 11:55:43 am

I'm no expert by any means but it sounds to me like a bad memory card. I have a USB flash. I can plug it into my PC and the PC recognizes it. I can add and delete any kind of file to it. I can play video files, audio files, documents, any kind of file straight from the USB drive with no problem. But if I plug it into my Bluray player, it's not recognized. All my other thumb drives work fine in the player, but after working fine for a long time, it no longer shows up when I put it in the player.

I guess my point is memory cards can act really stupid sometimes. Of course I'm assuming you've tried recording on another card just to make sure it's not the camera.

Return to posts index

David Newland
Re: GH4 video broken
on Jul 20, 2016 at 2:39:16 pm

Hi Duke, thanks for the response.

Yeah, I've pulled that card out of rotation because it's the weakest link in the chain as far as I can tell. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue with the camera. I guess I just move on and shoot more test footage before each production.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]