FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading software in Varicam 35/HS cameras

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john sharaf
Upgrading software in Varicam 35/HS cameras
on Apr 21, 2015 at 3:18:10 pm

With V3 upgrade coming soon, just a heads-up that the download MUST be unzipped on a PC platform; upgrade WILL NOT if unzipped on a Mac!

Furthermore, it's agonizingly slow when compared to upgrades on the "A" cameras.

What is good is that they have added "minus" gains to the native 800 ISO, but NOT to the native 5000 ISO, although per meetings at NAB they seem to now understand the importance of doing so in addition to these other important items:

Adding ProRes 4K Codec to Master Recorder
Adding ProRes 2K/HD Codec to Sun-Master Recorder
Implementing Anamorphic De-squeeze to VF and Monitoring Outputs
Correcting the main file naming conventions to industry stand A001C001 form

As the impending SUP is version 3, with version 4 to follow soon to impliment the Codex Uncompressed V-RAW recorder, it is to Panasonic's credit that are responding quickly to the deficiencies of the delivered cameras; it's really only been 3-4 months on the street!

For those of you who have not had a chance to look at the camera, you'll be pleasantly suprised by the compelling 5000 ISO feature!

John Sharaf
Varicam 35 Owner/Operator
Atlanta, Ga

Return to posts index

Marcin Mikolajczyk
Re: Upgrading software in Varicam 35/HS cameras
on Apr 27, 2015 at 6:58:09 pm

Hi,
I've done the upgrade with mac unzipping and it was ok - i used the 7zip.

About rest of things - prores on sub recorder and naming convention I've heard from Panasonic that it's hard to do it.
Prores on sub is not possible due to some limitations on sub recorder.
Naming convention is a bigger problem because it's a patent pending case.
You can have custom clip naming V3 but so far i couldn't find the solution to have it done and get files with demanded name...

Maybe we all - VariCam owners should bomb Panasonic with our demands.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Apr 28, 2015 at 2:02:41 pm

Yeah, I figured it out too; you have to download THEN unzip, NOT unzip while downloading. There's a setting for this.

As regards the other two issues; proper naming convention and ProRes on Sub-Mater Recorder, there were two of MANY issues presented in two whisper room meetings with CML membership and high level Panasonic folks. They didn't say either was impossible, to the contrary, they promised to look into both of these and many other complaints. I for one was encouraged, but we';; have to wait and see what happens and how fast

JS

Return to posts index

Marcin Mikolajczyk
on Apr 30, 2015 at 6:07:19 pm

Btw there is also minor bug after upgrade - using Vlog setting you cannot change lds i/ display for length - you can see distance only in feet. Prior to this upgrade it was separate setting called ext. func. Now is gone. This setting is only visible in rec709 mode. But after switching back to Vlog only feet is available...
Well... We can only be patient :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]