FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spot on the lens

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Rosson
Spot on the lens
on Nov 17, 2011 at 4:44:46 pm

All,
I've got a slight -- but discernable spot on the lens of my HDX900.
It doesn't look like a chip but may be -- it's about half the size of the head of a pin -- and it doesn't want to clean off the glass.
It's so slight, we shot three or four projects, before we noticed, but it's definitely there.
Anybody have a similar situation -- and is there a solution short of another lens?
Thank you,
JR

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
Re: Spot on the lens
on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:42:32 pm

As long as you control the depth-of-field, it won't show up in your recorded footage.

The fix is to send it in to Fuji or Canon -- it's the front element that needs attention.

Not the cheapest fix, but not that horrible, if my memory serves me.

If your lens is older, or has been exposed to the elements, you might consider having it serviced at that time.

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:12:10 pm

Ken,
It's showing in the picture.
And I know what you mean -- there's another larger spot on the glass that never has marred the recorded image -- and I was pleasantly puzzled about that.
But this one is showing -- mars a beautiful interview we shot recently with a blue sky background. And I'm puzzled as to why we didn't see it at the time.
Anyway, I suppose it's time to contact the factory.
Thank you,
JR

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:40:08 pm

Just make sure the glass is truly pitted -- and not just some gunk that has attached itself.

Most pro zoom lenses never get serviced -- and they should -- there are quite a lot of technical adjustments that need to be dialed in --- things that shift over time....like focus when you engage the 2X extender -- also, if you ever shot in dusty, or salty environments -- that will affect performance too.

I personally never use a clear UV filter to "protect" my lens either -- stray light can cause all kinds of issues with them.

Just the cost of doing business I guess -- good luck!!

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Nov 21, 2011 at 12:25:23 am

could it be a pixel is out ? do a few black balances and see if it goes away.?

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Nov 21, 2011 at 2:34:10 am

now that would be an easy fix. will try it -- thank you robin.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Nov 21, 2011 at 8:08:19 am

You may have to do Blk balance a few times.. also close the close right down to blk and see if you see a tiny white spot..

Dirt on the front element is more lively to be like a smudge.. than a tiny pin point.. and only show on wide angle..

Return to posts index

Brian Young
on Nov 25, 2011 at 4:45:00 pm

Greetings,
I had a small "scuff" in the very center of my fuji 4.5 that was probably caused by a mattebox filter lightly grazing it at some point. It could only be seen in very particular circumstances - with a light shooting straight in and the iris nearly closed so that it was showing the largest depth of field - but it was there and it bothered me.

i finally took it to the fuji service center just south of Los Angeles. I got great service there as Joe Nieman gave the lens a quick once over before turning his attentions to the front element.

I was a bit surprised to watch him pull out a small bottle of Cover Girl CG Smoothers creamy natural (720) foundation makeup and apply a very small drop to the front surface. He buffed that up and then did it again. He said that there is juuuuust enough abrasive in the makeup to remove irregularities, but doesn't scratch their lens coatings.

After about 3 minutes of cleaning, he finished up with some standard lens cleaner and presto - the scuff was gone.

I couldn't have been happier. You might try it yourself if you think your only alternative is to send it in...

Brian Young
Los Angeles
http://www.FlacaProductions.com

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Nov 25, 2011 at 7:35:09 pm

Brian --
That is really good to know.
I took the camera to a Panasonic dealer-- after talking with a rep there. This was a place called Specialized Communications in Hagerstown, MD. The service there was super. Aside from the travel -- the trip cost me nothing.
What we found was likely a supersmall speck of hardened concrete. For fear of scratching the lens, I didn't attempt a fix after the first few tries w/lens cleaner.
The tech there was knowledgeable and very helpful. He kept after it for about 15 mins -- and managed to get all but the very slightest trace -- a shadow visible only with effort -- off the lens.
It was so small I couldn't imagine it was debris, but it was. I may go after the final bit with your solution.
Thank you for your help.
JR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]