FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDX900 tape/camera issues

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michal Pietrzyk
HDX900 tape/camera issues
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:46:46 pm

Didn't see a forum thread for 900 stuff, so I'm putting it in the Varicam section. Lately, I've been having some serious problems with the HDX900, sometimes it's the camera, recently, it's been the tape, and sometimes it's hard to tell which. Got some serious video hits (both straight pixelation and this weird blue pixel effect) in one part of the image consistently, sent it back for service and apparently it's fixed, but it's happened multiple times now. Anyone else had recurring problems with their 900? Also, right when it came back from service from Panasonic, took it out on a shoot, and one of the 15 tapes I shot was completely pixelated through the middle, nothing I could do with it, it was toast. All the others were fine. Panasonic said it was a tape issue, but it was brand new stock. Should I be spooling tapes before shooting? Any ideas or similar experiences out there? Recurring issues with the 900 and tape stock?

Thanks!

Michal.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
Re: HDX900 tape/camera issues
on Sep 29, 2011 at 2:24:00 am

Sorry to hear of your problems.. I,ll be interested to see what others say as a HDX900 owner.. I havnt had any problems myself.. touch wood !!!

Does sound odd to shoot 15 tapes that are all fine and only one has weirdness.. and only in the middle the tape

So what was the answer from pana for the first problem that they "fixed" what was causing that..?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:35:34 pm

You'd think if the heads needed replacing panny would have said so.

I had a CCD block go on me years ago and I was getting bad lens flare lighting streaks when I took it in. This was on a Sony though.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:44:54 pm

No issues like that with my HDX900. Really sounds like a bad record head. I remember having isolated tape dropouts on Beta tapes back in the day due to dirt/dust clogging a head.

OT: Have you considered switching to record on a NanoFlash? I've gone away from tape to completely tape-less, couldn't be happier.

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:01:19 pm

Ernie,
Having forgotten most of what I read about nanoflash a year or so ago - - what format/frame rate do you use?
Shooting with 900 as well, to FS 100.
Am tired of worry about the fw connection during the shoot, and looking at the nano.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:08:25 pm

I shoot all different formats for different clients. The Nano just takes what the camera outputs over HD-SDI. But, it improves the recording over DVCProHD. The Nano can record at a higher bitrate. DVCPro is 100Mbps. The Nano can go much higher to 280Mbps. I tend to shoot 1080i for a lot of things at 180Mbps. It's been flawless for me. Not one drop out or error yet. The only thing I wish it had was a T/C windowburn on the Nano out as I don't run tape with it and the T/C is internally generated by the Nano. It would be nice to have that for my clients to see.

Ernie Santella

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Oct 7, 2011 at 5:42:20 pm

Ernie -- thanks for quick response.
What model nano do you use -- and how does it mount to the 900?
Is the nano something you have to attach each time (like we do with the FS) or have you devised a way to leave it attached so that you can put it in the camera carry bag without disassembling?
Thank you,
JR

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Oct 7, 2011 at 6:40:54 pm

JR,
I have the original NANO. I just mount the unit on a cold-shoe that goes on the top front of the handle. It has a ball adjust so I can rotate it for easy viewing. I have short cables for power off my D-tap on the Anton mount and video from the HD-SDI out jack. Very clean setup. Sure, it won't go inside my Portabrace bag with the Nano on top, but that's not a deal-breaker for me to mount it and remove it. I just like having it right by my eyes to see what it's doing and to hit record.

One other caveat is, you have to hit record on the Nano when you are NOT running tape with it. The record button on the camera will not start the Nano unless you run tape. That's why I like it close and easy to hit record.

Check out this site for mounts, cables and parts, they have it all.
http://www.nanoflash.net

Ernie Santella

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Oct 7, 2011 at 11:04:42 pm

Ernie - -thank you for your help.
JR

Return to posts index

Thomas Miller
on Oct 26, 2011 at 2:44:19 am

Hi Michal, sorry you are running into these issues. That's maddening! We own an HDX900, and have not run into any problems except occasional pixel issues that need to be masked. This has been a rock solid camera for us for many years now. In fact for a while we had two of them - both with not a single problem. We usually run panasonic stock through it, though sometimes clients replace with Fuji. And like my fellow forum poster and friend Ernie, now have a Nano Flash for those clients who don't want to deal with tapes. It's an excellent system.

Tom Miller
Big Pictures Media
Denver, Colorado

http://www.BigPicturesMedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]