FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colour VF - Sony or Panasonic

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
toby hough
Colour VF - Sony or Panasonic
on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:00:48 pm

Hi
I have a Varicam 2700 with an adapted Sony HDVF-C30W view finder, which is great but on its last legs (interference on the lcd panel and increasingly present intermittent coloured vertical lines).

I'd appreciate your views on replacing it with the Panasonic CVF-100F or Sony HDVF-C35W.

Anyone use either of these, or both? What do you think of them?

Cheers, thanks.
t
toby hough

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
Re: Colour VF - Sony or Panasonic
on Aug 2, 2011 at 4:14:26 pm

I haven't used the Sony, but like the Panasonic color finder. Just be careful with brightness and contrast settings, as it will blow out--but adjusted properly with bars, it looks quite nice. Good resolution and colorimetry.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

toby hough
on Aug 3, 2011 at 8:48:05 am

Ok, thanks Jeff.
I've been told the Panasonic has a small LCD panel (1", don't know what resolution) but with a big loupe to magnify the image; whereas the Sony has a big lcd panel (500+ lines, 3"1/8 x 1"3/4) to start with giving a crisper image. You presumably don't mind the Panasonic's smaller lcd panel size and don't consider it a problem? How is it for focus?

Thanks for your help.
t
toby hough

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Aug 3, 2011 at 9:17:18 pm

Panasonic size is 1" LCOS. I find it very sharp, better than I expected, focus is no problem. I personally wouldn't pay $8495 for it, but it was bundled with the HPX3700 trade-in program at one point, or 2700/3700 trade-in for $6000.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video

Return to posts index

Max Daniel
on Aug 4, 2011 at 6:47:40 am

I used Sony HDVF-C35W. It is really a great product. The basic and main feature of the Sony product is it is easy to use by a layman also.

Return to posts index

Tony Brennan
on Aug 4, 2011 at 11:06:51 am

I own a 2700 with 2" B&W panasonic viewfinder, but have tried the panasonic colour viewfinder on my camera and I didn't like it. I think the small screen size is a problem and the LCOS seem to rainbow like a DPL projector. This is very anoying because your eye is always scaning around the frame. I have also used both of Sony's colour viewfinders on Sony 750s, 900s etc and I think they are a much superior product. I would reconmend that you test for yourself as they are all very expensive.

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Sep 1, 2011 at 3:34:01 pm

Tony,

You're the first person I've ever heard complain about the Panasonic color viewfinder. I have never seen rainbow/separation artifacts myself, but some people are more susceptible to this.

I think the viewfinder works very well, but I wouldn't spend $8K for it. I prefer a nice TV Logic on-board monitor.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video

Return to posts index

Rod Paul
on Oct 11, 2011 at 7:21:42 pm

The Panasonic color finder is outstanding, and the LCOS display is unbeatable. Color reproduction and sharpness excellent. It gives you a highly accurate look, much as an expensive monitor, which gives me lots of confidence when moving quickly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]