FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggest this forum expand to encompass all Panasonic ENG-style cameras

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Kadner
Suggest this forum expand to encompass all Panasonic ENG-style cameras
on Apr 11, 2011 at 2:58:50 pm

Lots of those out there. Varicam is still a lovely camera but it's obvious by the lower traffic in this forum that people are using other big shoulder models more these days. Such as the HPX2000, HPX-370, etc. Tape-based has given rise to tapeless. Thoughts?

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Suggest this forum expand to encompass all Panasonic ENG-style cameras
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:27:29 pm

Noah,

I think that's a good idea.

I for one have been selling off my tape Varicams when I can, and can report there is hardly a market out there for these cameras. I got $5K recently for a pristine H model with low hours and was glad to get it. I spent the money of media (SxS) for several another file based camera systems (Alexa and F3).

I will always cherish the work I did with these cameras and remember its place in my own HD history and experience. Panasonic's invention and implementation of dynamic range control was a significant step towards imitating the quality of film and was essentially copied by Sony with their HyperGamma settings. Now the evolved availability of Log curves (S-Log, C-Log, etc) has brought us even closer to the film effect by allowing extended dynamic range of 12-14 stops, evenly spaced in over and under. It is the improvement in electronics resulting in higher nominal speeds (like 800ASA) and exceptionally quiet picture (noise free) that is now letting the most modern Digital Cinema cameras claim superiority over film itself.

I personally wish that Panasonic had not been so timid with it's large sensor camera development so that there would have been more competition to the Sony F35 and now F3 initiative, as obviously health competition is good for the consumer, in this case professional cinematographers.

I would not believe for a long time that larger, professional shoulder mount cameras (like the Varicam) would ever be replaced by anything so small as say the Sony F3 but I'm coming around to that position. I think the technology, both in cameras and recording has advanced so far now that very small devices, resembling consumer equipment of the past are now producing images equal to film, and now the most determining factor, as it should be, is the creative and technical skills of the operator/technicians and not the cost of the equipment they are able to obtain; within reason if course, no flip-phones, only 35mm sensors and 10 bit recording!

In my participation in various Creative Cow forums, I believe the most stimulating discussions come in the more creative venues, like Lighting and Cinematography, where technical questions and answers relate directly to issues encountered by filmmakers and technicians with actual creative dilemmas. That is not to say that equipment specific forums such as this have no value, they do, so I second your suggestion to bring this site up to date by including all the current variants of the original Varicam.

JS

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:18:28 pm

Noah,

I agree with your idea. It would be good to remember that there are currently two P2 Varicams, of course, not just legacy Varicams. I must say that I was disappointed that Panasonic showed no large sensor Varicam or a higher end variant of the AF100 at NAB.

John is right about the F3, but I can't get excited about the form factor or inboard recording codec limitations.

Panasonic is really losing out on a great opportunity--a large sensor P2 based Varicam with AVC-Ultra 4:4:4, proper hand held ergonomics, image control, at a price point of half or less than an Alexa. The legacy Varicam was revolutionary for its technology and lower price point, Panasonic should continue to leverage the name and spirit of that product, IMO.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 13, 2011 at 4:53:24 pm

Yup- I suspect they will get there in another year or two. Just like everyone else I think the massive popularity of S35 sensors caught them a bit by surprise and they're working to shift.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Apr 13, 2011 at 5:36:53 pm

Folks,
As the owner of an HDX900 I would love to see the forum expanded.
There is no forum here for the 900, but plenty of common issues for those using FS, nanoflash, etc.
Thank you,
JR

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Apr 14, 2011 at 1:42:42 am

For documentary work,with schedules actually getting tighter and tighter.. where pretty much the wide angle zoom is on the camera most of the time.. and as a necessity to grab the shots needed .. is not the S35 sensor a problem .Obviously impossible to hand hold a 35mm zoom lens.. I know there are smaller light weight ones... but they dont have the range of the 2/3 wide angle zooms available now..

But for drama ofcourse would be great.. and agree also.. the F3 and the AF100.. are just ugly :) and the VF at the back etc..

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Apr 24, 2011 at 10:41:38 am

I too think the title and scope of this forum should be widened. Yes.

In response to Robin's comments about the F3 and AF100... I agree. I would have bought the F3 if they had placed the VF off to the left so there was some way to hold the darned thing on your shoulder. I learned my lesson with the Z1U. Unless you are a power lifter there is no good way to shoot with it hand held for long. I can use my EX-3 on some rails and shoulder pad and shoot away.

On another note, the Panasonic "100" has to be one of the clunkiest pieces of industrial design I have ever seen. It doesn't effect the pictures it makes of course, but damn that thing is ugly. Makes the HVX-200 look like a runway model!

George Griswold
New Orleans, LA
http://www.videonow.info

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]