FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot reformat drive to MacOS Extended after Varicam use

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Misha Mazor
Cannot reformat drive to MacOS Extended after Varicam use
on Dec 1, 2010 at 6:12:07 pm

Hello all,
I'm having trouble reformatting a firewire/USB drive my DP used to offload footage from his Varicam back to normal Mac OSX use. It first appeared on the Mac desktop as multiple partitions--that the Varicam created when offloading footage. I tried formatting thru Disk Utilities to clear everything off the drive, but it would only let me format into FAT32, but not into MacOSX Extended— which I need. Has anyone ever encountered this? The same is happening on 2 identical Lacie drives.

Does the Varicam have its own file system it formats drives with that prevent normal use afterward??

Thanks!
Misha

Return to posts index

Misha Mazor
Re: Cannot reformat drive to MacOS Extended after Varicam use
on Dec 1, 2010 at 7:14:21 pm

I found a solution on macrumors:

To successfully prepare a disk for Mac that has been previously formatted for a PC (as most new drives are of course), the disk needs to have the "Partition Table Map" established for Macs rather than leaving it as is.

• Start up Disk Utility
• Click the disk to be formatted in the left column. Click the whole drive line, not the partition(s) if any show below it
• Click the "Partition" tab at the top of the window
• Change the "Volume Scheme:" from "Current" to "1 partition" (or however many partitions you want)
• Click the "Options" button. Choose the appropriate partition table type in the window that appears- GUID for Intel based Macs, APM for PowerPC based Macs). Click OK to close that window
• Click on the partition (or partitions one at a time) and enter a name in the "Volume Information:" section and choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the "Format:" section
• When done naming, click "Apply", then "OK"
• Sit back for a short time and when complete enjoy the drive!

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Dec 3, 2010 at 11:54:47 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't understand this??

First, you can't download footage off a Varicam directly onto a Hard drive. You have to go though a computer I/O card like a Kona or Black magic. The camera cannot directly connect to a HD.

Second, when the HD is connected to the computer, all you need to do is Erase and reformat the HD using the Apple Disk Utility software or some other program you use. The drive is completely wiped clean and reformatted and ready to use again.

This is very simple.

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Misha Mazor
on Dec 4, 2010 at 12:05:29 am

My bad, it wasn't a Varicam, I think it was a Panasonic SDX with P2 cards. Nevertheless it does connect and offload directly to a hard drive, making multiple partitions to the drive. And these drives would not "Erase" in Disk Utility— without going through the steps I outlined.

Take is as an FYI.

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Dec 4, 2010 at 12:14:53 am

Still, all you have to do is connect the HD to the Mac. Use Disk Utility, select the HD in your list of drives connected, Hit ERASE, select the format you want and it will wipe the drive and reformat.

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:13:00 am

[Ernie Santella] "First, you can't download footage off a Varicam directly onto a Hard drive. You have to go though a computer I/O card like a Kona or Black magic. The camera cannot directly connect to a HD."

I know this is old, but actually, you can. Check out USB host mode.

It does as OP says and makes a partition for each p2 card.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:26:43 am

You must be talking about a newer Varicam like the HPX2700 and not the older F & H models. They only have a Firewire port and no USB ports.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 27, 2011 at 5:01:02 am

Yes. P2 cameras.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]