FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting for AJ-HDX900 for FCP scene/start/stop detection via FW

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oli da Costa
Setting for AJ-HDX900 for FCP scene/start/stop detection via FW
on Nov 14, 2010 at 6:16:34 pm

Hi, I am an editor working on an on-going TV series all shot on an AJ-HDX900. We're hoping to shoot a 25x1hr series next year (all shot on the same camera, to tape, not a NanoFlash, etc), but I am looking for a specific setting for the camera which will enable scene detection (DV start/stop as FCP calls it), to allow me to not have to manually log the 350+ expected tapes in FCP.

I have posted on the FCP forum here: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1110574, without much success, but thought a post to possible HDX900 owner/operators may yield more replies.

I am confident that FCP can detect camera start/stop operations, just as it would with DV or HDV (the FCP manual does say this works with DVCPro HD), but have had no success and extremely conflicting advice as to how to do this...from setting free-run TC to a variety of user-bit settings, with time-of-day (ToD) code being the most widely suggested.

Ideally, I would like the operator to record rec-run TC and via some camera setting, have the tape 'marked' when he starts/stops (most likely via user-bits, I guess), so that when the tape is ingested via an AJ-HD1400 VTR, this 'marking' data comes across the firewire connection (I'm using FCP's default DVCProHD mode), and enables the tape to essentially log itself into scene clips.

Most grateful for any help or pointers...

Oli da Costa
Fraktiv Post Production
London W1

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
Re: Setting for AJ-HDX900 for FCP scene/start/stop detection via FW
on Nov 16, 2010 at 10:52:41 pm

I have never be able to get it do that on my FCP system. But, I'd like to know if this is possible too!! Yes, it works nicely with HDV ingest, but doesn't work with HD-SDI or Firewire input with tapes from my HDX-900.

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Oli da Costa
on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:37:31 am

Thanks Ernie. I'm going to keep on trying, but not having the camera to hand - obviously the cameraman has it - it's kinda hard to guess settings to ask him to try. According to the FCP manual and Ken Stone (4th bullet), it is do-able...and ToD (presumably with UB code via FW) seems to be the key. Hmm, let's see, and let me know if you ever try it!

Cheers

Oli da Costa
Fraktiv Post Production
London W1

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 17, 2010 at 11:04:24 pm

Try asking Jan Crittenden at Panasonic about it; she's very well informed on her products.

Return to posts index

Oli da Costa
on Nov 20, 2010 at 7:48:46 pm

Cheers Mark...think I have an email address for her...will give it a try!

Oli da Costa
Fraktiv Post Production
London W1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]