FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speed ramp question on HPX2700

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Townson
Speed ramp question on HPX2700
on Sep 23, 2010 at 4:27:03 pm

I just received a 2700 Varicam and I'm trying to get the frame rate to change while the camera is recording. Here's how I have it set up now:

VFR on/off is set to the User 2 button on the camera

The shutter speeds are set up like the manual suggests - 1/60,1/100,1/120,1/250,1/500,1/1000

I record in AVC-I100 720p30 (native) mode. I turn VFR and the shutter on at 1/60. I use the jog dial to highlight the frame rate in the VF and the synchro scan buttons to change the frame rate and SS accordingly.

This works fine, but when the camera is recording I can no longer select different frame rates. The frame rate no longer flashes when the jog dial is pressed during recording. I think I've followed all the directions I can find, but I can't seem to get this to work.

Any pointers would be appreciated. And I will likely have another question or two about this camera in the future. Thanks.

Andrew Townson

Return to posts index

Scott Rachal
Re: Speed ramp question on HPX2700
on Sep 23, 2010 at 10:08:12 pm

Try this...

In the MAIN MENU:SYSTEM SETTINGS:SYSTEM MODE menu:

SYSTEM MODE: 720-59.94p
REC FORMAT: AVCI 100/24p
VFR: ON
FRAME RATE: 24 (or 30)
USER SW F. RATE: 60

In the MAIN MENU:CAM OPERATION:USER SW menu:

User1 SW: FRATE

Now... when you press user switch 1, the camera will toggle from the FRAME RATE to the USER SW F. RATE; in this case from 24 frames per second to 60 frames per second. You can set these two numbers to any combination, the User switch will toggle from one speed to the other.

NOTE– the camera will not 'Ramp' from 60 to 24 or back again, it is a hard speed change. If you want a ramp, shoot everything at 60p and do the speed change in post.

NOTE– you need to set a shutter speed as a absolute fraction of a second, ie. 1/60, 1/100, 1/120 etc... NO DEGREES. If you set the shutter to a speed defined as degrees, the exposure will change when you execute the speed change.

NOTE– The 2700 will not record audio when VFR mode is set to 'On'

-Scott

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Sep 24, 2010 at 12:36:29 am

Yes, on our 2700 we have USER Main set to VFR On/Off typically at 24 or 48 fps, USER 1 set to typically 48 or 60 fps. You must enable VFR ON prior to recording, you can then go from 24 to 48 by pressing USER 1, or 48 to 60, whatever.

If you want a true ramp, use an RC10 paint box. As noted, fractional shutter speeds must be used, not degrees/half shutter, to avoid exposure changes.

I believe the newest firmware for the 2700 allows audio recording in VFR, but haven't tried it myself.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Brad Olander
on Oct 1, 2010 at 1:48:10 am

Along with the User and Main menus, the HPX2700 has an Option Menu. ("Displayed when the MENU button is pressed while pressing the LIGHT button.")

In the Option menu, try setting the "RATE SET AT REC" to On. This should allow you to change speeds while recording. According to the manual, "When set to 'ON', audio will not be recorded to the P2 card during VFR operation in Native recording mode, whatever the frame rate setting."

Quotes are from the menu section of the user manual.

Good luck.

Brad Olander
http://www.olandercamera.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Townson
on Oct 1, 2010 at 2:03:03 pm

It was the setting in the Option Menu. It's working now. Thanks Brad and the others who responded.

Andrew Townson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]