FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX3700 video noise levels - screenshot included

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dom Chambers
HPX3700 video noise levels - screenshot included
on Aug 29, 2010 at 10:25:37 am

Hey all,

I am currently in pre-production on a short film and we are shooting on the 3700. We have just finished a couple of test shoots and I have noticed and am concerned about the video noise in the image. I recently sat down with another director who is in post for a feature film which was shot on the same camera, I did not notice the same issue. I don't have the opportunity to contact him at the moment so I thought i'd ask you guys.

As far as I am aware the settings I know were active were:
- ND filter
- -3db gain

I am new to the camera and so is my DOP. So any advice is appreciated. I know we can get a lot better out of this camera and would love to know suggested settings etc.

One more thing our current workflow with FCP is log and transfer onto a Apple prores 422 (HQ) timeline. I am also worried about this and getting the best possible quality. We have access to AVID as well would this be a better route than FCP?

Here is a shot with noticeable grain, please click the download link to view large version.

http://j.imagehost.org/download/0859/9_10

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: HPX3700 video noise levels - screenshot included
on Aug 29, 2010 at 3:39:02 pm

Dom,

In suspect you are looking at your footage on a "noisy" LCD monitor and that the camera footage is just fine. FCP Prores (even standard setting) is an excellent 10 bit 422 codec and you need not consider it to be at fault either.

JS

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Aug 29, 2010 at 4:39:21 pm

If there is noise, you might consider sending your camera to a good tech to have it adjusted, IF there is an issue. Especially if you are shooting a feature. Well worth the money to have your camera looking the best.

I would recommend Macie in MA. Top-notch camera setup.

http://www.macievideo.com/CamCert.html

Return to posts index

Fermin Branger
on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:40:54 pm

Have you used DRS function? The camera was so hot?
Have you performed a bracketing test with the optics that you were going to use before shoot?
What was the aperture at that time?
...your camera settings?

Fermin Branger
ALFARERIA CINEMATOGRAFICA
Caracas, Venezuela.

Return to posts index

Bruce Greene
on Sep 2, 2010 at 3:08:27 am

I don't think this should be a noisy camera. I have the older version (model H) and it makes a really clean image, even on a large theater screen.

I have noticed that my camera is pretty noisy when shooting in Video Rec mode. That is, set up as a "video camera" for direct broadcast. It makes a much cleaner and better looking image when in Film Rec mode. What mode are you shooting in?

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.brucealangreene.com

Return to posts index

Fermin Branger
on Sep 2, 2010 at 2:41:42 pm

Of course this isn't a noisy camera, I have one 3700 and I've never seen so clear images before. I think it would be a matter of "forced capturing" with wrong settings, or a particular issue with that camera.

Fermin Branger
ALFARERIA CINEMATOGRAFICA
Caracas, Venezuela.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]