FORUMS: list search recent posts

Varicam 2700 Noise?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Burton
Varicam 2700 Noise?
on Aug 26, 2010 at 6:18:25 pm

Hello All,

A question for you Varicam veterans. I've just started using the Varicam 2700 on a long format doc, shooting AVC-I 100/1080p/24p -- while setting up the camera on scopes, I noticed that the cinegamma settings increased the picture noise levels noticeably, versus HD/SD Gamma settings, or NO gamma at all (which proved to be the quietest).

I understand that this is the norm, but looking on the waveform monitor, the noise floor is, to me, much more active than it should be, much more active that the old Varicam H model I've shot with in the past.

I flipped through the gamma settings, and from a baseline of OFF, up to HD/SD, through cinegamma 1-3, the noise doubles. Video/Film Rec is a little quieter, but still substantially noisier that HD/SD.

This 2700 was literally, right out of the box when I noticed this -- and I apologize for not having any screencaps for reference, but I'm wondering if this is normal?

I've also tried to chip the camera -- that is to say, tried using some of the scene files provided on Panny's website. Same deal. Did the whole black balance thing, changes lenses even, scene files. No change.

I'm curious what your experiences are...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
Re: Varicam 2700 Noise?
on Aug 26, 2010 at 7:07:41 pm

I don't find the noise from a 2700 to be greater than an HDX900 and AVC-Intra 100 has a lower noise floor than DVCPRO HD, that's why there's one stop more latitude.

Make sure DRS is off, gain at 0db or -3db.

Try turning off the following to see what difference they make:

Detail
High Color
Matrix
Color Correction
Black stretch(Film-Rec)
Knee
Chroma (0)

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index