FORUMS: list search recent posts

Varicam live feed to video projector

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Keyes
Varicam live feed to video projector
on Aug 24, 2010 at 12:46:04 pm

Just wondering if there is a "best" way of doing this...

Basically, I will be filming (on a Varicam 2700) guests arriving at a party, and the image is supposed to be sent live to a projector for everyone else to see. Best way? Easiest way?

The projector is a ViewSonic PJ501. It's old and SD and lame, 800x600 res, but that's what they have...

So I THINK that I can just go 'mon out' BNC cable to RCA In on the projector. Will that work? And if that DOES work, then will I need to adjust the image as the 16x9 may be stretched or squished? The projector would be able to handle that though right?

FYI - not terribly worried about picture quality, and audio doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
Re: Varicam live feed to video projector
on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:44:09 pm

You can set the camera's down conversion to either letterbox or 4:3 (there's a menu setting for that). As the projector is only 4:3 native, I would set the camera to send 4:3 to it.

Return to posts index

Adam Keyes
on Aug 25, 2010 at 2:09:46 pm

Thanks Ernie. I figured it out...

BNC adapter to RCA in on the projector. A few changes to the menu settings of both the camera and the projector and voila!

Now I just need to find a 200 foot RCA cable. :)

Thanks!

Adam

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Aug 25, 2010 at 2:16:31 pm

It might be easier and cheaper for this non-broadcast event to just use some RG59 coaxial cable (The type used for cable TV) and just put two BNC-to-F Connectors on it. They come in 100' rolls everywhere.

Return to posts index

Adam Keyes
on Aug 25, 2010 at 2:44:11 pm

True. "Non broadcast" is an overstatement though. :)

It's VERY informal, so I'm just going w/ whatever works, and we found a giant cable/s, so it's all good.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam Keyes
on Aug 30, 2010 at 2:50:25 pm

Ernie (or anyone),

Thanks for the input, the event went fine, except for something I didn't think of... (i'm an idiot)

Since I used the 'Mon Out' to go to the projector, I had no monitor for myself! I was shooting on a jib and the projector was 200 ft away, so my usual monitor set up wasn't an option cause it had to use the 'Mon Out' jack which was being used for the projector (SD projector).

So:

How can I send two SD signals out of the Varicam 2700 at the same time, 1 to a projector and 1 to a monitor for me? Is there a BNC splitter adapter that would've allowed me to run 2 outputs? Or do I need to buy an HD monitor that could run from an HDMI out jack?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Aug 30, 2010 at 3:13:45 pm

All you need(ed) was a small battery powered composite DA (distribution amp). That would have allowed one input and three/four/five outputs. AJA (and others) make such a device.

JS

Return to posts index

Adam Keyes
on Aug 30, 2010 at 3:30:54 pm

Thanks John, indeed you are right.

Just looked them up...anywhere from $50-$500, 2-9 outputs. Solution!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Sep 6, 2010 at 10:13:28 pm

Does your local monitor have an SD video loop (output)? If so, camera to local jib monitor, loop out to the projector.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
Violence may not be the answer but it sure cuts down on the questions.

Return to posts index

Adam Keyes
on Sep 7, 2010 at 12:23:09 pm

Tried that Ray, but no go! :) The monitor is a piece...need a new one...but the other guys who posted in this thread really helped. The switch/DA was exactly what I needed. Will get one next time!

Thanks though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]