FORUMS: list search recent posts

Varicam tape to hard drive

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve phillipps
Varicam tape to hard drive
on Aug 1, 2010 at 5:45:22 pm

Wondering what's the best way to copy a Varicam tape to a hard drive.
The idea is then that for those clients that don't have DVCPro VTRs and Frame Rate Coverters I can give them the drive instead.
There will be a variety of frame speeds on each tape (a lot of 25P sync, and a lot of 60P for slomo).
Can I connect via a Kona card or similar via SDI? I assume yes.
Then what about frame rates? If I remove the flagged frames then will everything play back as intended (ie sync at 25P with audio and 60P in slomo when imported into a 25P project)?
Or will it need to go through the FRC in Final Cut, or Cinema Tools or even both?
Many thanks,
Steve

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Varicam tape to hard drive
on Aug 2, 2010 at 7:12:06 am

Or a Panasonic 1200A or other deck with Firewire. But yeah a Kona/BMD card would be the simplest way to ingest. Most support pulldown removal.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

steve phillipps
on Aug 2, 2010 at 8:56:12 am

So they support pulldown removal, I saw that, but what does that then leave you with?
Can I just press play on the tape and it'll go through the card and onto a drive all ready to ingest into Final Cut or whatever, with varispeed and sync speed all correctly captured?
Cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 3, 2010 at 4:46:22 pm

On the decks- it's Firewire in. On the cards you in SDI- either way you do the capture with the FCP log and transfer tool.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Aug 5, 2010 at 5:02:47 am

When I import directly from the deck into an AJA Kona Lhw, the 25P and 60P are correctly pulled down. the 60P plays back automatically in slomo in a 25P timeline. I have to ingest via FCP and it's a bit messy with the setups but it works. I used a Nanoflash which records the 25p correctly but the sound is not in sync. I would love the Nano guys to fix this.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 6, 2010 at 10:27:31 pm

Another option is to use a Panasonic MXF recorder and give them the true tapeless compliment. The files will be more 'universal' in that they will be cross platform and you won't have to rely on Quicktime .movs that some people might not be able to read or use easily. Almost all modern NLE's can read Panasonic MXF files in some way, shape or form.

Something like this:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId...

Or this:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?display...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]