FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJ-HDC27H in PAL

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adrian combes
AJ-HDC27H in PAL
on Jul 26, 2010 at 8:03:28 am

Hi really interested to hear from anyone thats had experience using a varicam AJ-HDC27Hp shooting in 25fps for PAL use . currently considering a second hand unit as it fits the budget but wary of hassles in the edit process.

thx adrian

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: AJ-HDC27H in PAL
on Jul 26, 2010 at 2:53:19 pm

Adrian,

The Varicam is a true universal camera for use in PAL and NTSC countries. By setting the System Frequency to 60hz and the frame rate to 25 or 50 it shoots PAL standard (and you can also shoot off speed as well) and by setting to 59.94 you can have all the NTSC settings from 4-60 fps. You'll need a 1200A or 1400 deck to import by firewire or as base-band video through a capture card.

It turns out that I am selling both some cameras and a deck if you care to contact me off-list at john at sharaf dot net.

JS

Return to posts index

Tim Maloney
AJ-HDC27H in PAL
on Jul 27, 2010 at 7:47:43 am

Hi Adrian,

Got an F model and 1200 for sale.

Tim
Axis Films Australia
tim@axisfilms.com.au

Tim Maloney
Managing Director
Axis Films Melbourne Australia
tim@axisfilms.com.au

Return to posts index

adrian combes
on Jul 29, 2010 at 2:54:47 am

Gday Tim,

if you dont mind me asking , what platform are you editing in . as I said in my earlier post I'm looking at upgrading from sx to a varicam . but never having used one I'm wary of giving myself hassles i dont need. and the flagged frames on ingestion etc , concerns me a little. Are they truly 50hz switchable or is it 60hz at a set frame rate of 25fps for use as pal.
cheers adrian

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jul 29, 2010 at 1:52:13 pm

As I've already said, when the SYS FREQ is set at 60 the frame rates are integers and therefore can be set at 25 or 50 for PAL (or even at 24 for those who insist in that rate), when at 59.94 the frame rates conform to the NTSC standards such that for example when you make the frame rate 24 it really is 23.97. Your qualified NLE interprets the flagged frames and creates the 25p or 50i timeline you specify.

JS

Return to posts index

adrian combes
on Jul 30, 2010 at 2:30:31 am

Thx John , sorry to test your patience . just getting my head around 60 as pal 59.94 as ntsc . for over 15 years ive been using sony cam's where 50 is 50 and 60 is 60 and before that it was ikegami. I run media composer which of course will take it I'm just a naturally cautious operator when it comes to change. and working mainly in a regional marketplace means budgets tight both the clients and mine so I ask lots of questions and ponder incessantly .

cheers & thx again.

Return to posts index

Keith Jacobsen
on Jul 31, 2010 at 5:27:28 pm

Hi Adrian,
I have just completed a shoot for the BBC in the last two weeks using an HDC27H for output in both PAL and HD. We shot at 720/25fps over 60 and edited on FCP.

The shoot and edit all worked fine with no issues but we did have to do a "hardware" upscale to 1080/50i for transmission on the BBC HD channel and deliver on HDCam SR tape... that's they way the BBC require HD TX tapes at the moment - the PAL version was laid back onto DigiBeta (the film goes to air next week in SD on BBC Yorkshire over four nights and in HD on the BBC HD channel in September). We also had a premier of the finished film in front of 200 people in a major cinema and it looked just fantastic!

It is a fantastic camera to work with, having previously used DVCam and DigiBeta, and we used a 1400 deck to ingest the footage onto FCP using the HD SDI input of a Blackmagic Decklink card.... we also ingested using the firewire so that the director could look at the rushes on his laptop while traveling to each of the 43 locations we used!!

Like you I was a bit nervous about taking the plunge, but hell... I'm glad I did!

I hope this is of some help and please do feel free to message me.

Regards
KJ

Return to posts index

adrian combes
on Aug 1, 2010 at 2:28:51 am

Thanks Keith,

usefull info and good to get someone elses perspective.
I get a lot of confused info on the varicam . with some saying there are PAL specific versions and others saying no its a one size fits all which I believe is correct.I'm old school and still like tape which is why Im thinking varicam over p2 or XD and price of course a 900R being way out of budget. Having had numerous hardrives die over the years doesnt give me faith as a long term back up medium.and backing up from card to tape anyway seems a pointless time consuming exercise particuarly if you want to keep the wilds as well.

cheers adrian

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Aug 5, 2010 at 4:38:26 am

[Keith Jacobsen] "It is a fantastic camera to work with, having previously used DVCam and DigiBeta, and we used a 1400 deck to ingest the footage onto FCP using the HD SDI input of a Blackmagic Decklink card.... we also ingested using the firewire so that the director could look at the rushes on his laptop while traveling to each of the 43 locations we used!!"

I have a H-series Varicam which I've been trying to sell Keith. It is a great camera to work with and not having to backup after a shoot is great. I'm sort of re-considering buying a HD1200 or 1400 deck and staying with the 27. It's nice to know the BBC is still using the 27H. Hard to know what to do...

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Keith Jacobsen
on Aug 6, 2010 at 1:36:40 pm

Hi Peter,
The BBC have a very short approved list of HD cameras that they will accept for use and the 27 F & H are both there! They also have their list of settings for the Varicam for use on different productions like film for tv, wildlife, film for film etc... let me know if you'd like a copy of the parameters.

KJ

Return to posts index

adrian combes
on Aug 6, 2010 at 9:34:09 pm

Hi Keith,

I'd be interested in that list if you dont mind . There suggested setups in particular.
thx adrian

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Aug 7, 2010 at 3:35:04 am

Many thanks Keith,

I sent you an email with my details.

Cheers,
Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au