FORUMS: list search recent posts

getting cine like feel for tyre commercial

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Prateek Kashyap
getting cine like feel for tyre commercial
on May 19, 2010 at 7:17:08 pm

Esteemed Colleagues,

I am going to shoot a radial tyre commercial for a leading tyre manufacturer, the client wants a cine like look and feel to the tyre motion. The shoot will be on a varicam using high load capacity trucks.

My questions:

1. What would be the best to achieve cine like quality, look and feel for the commercial.
2. How can I effectively utlize the undercranking and overcranking feature on the varicam to create smooth motion for the tyre.

Suggestions and ideas are welcome.

regards,

Prateek

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
Re: getting cine like feel for tyre commercial
on May 19, 2010 at 9:35:48 pm

Caterpillar is one of my biggest clients. I shoot heavy equipment all the time. If I was told that by my client, I would mix it up. Use both slow and fast frame-rates for effect and set the base frame-rate for the majority of the project at 24fps or 30fps.

24fps (with half-shutter) will give you more of a cine feel, but has blur that can be a bit distracting for clean detail on everything (especially product shots) I would recommend 30fps (with half-shutter) to give a nice cine feel, but not too much blur.
Other things to do are Undercrank (6-8 fps) for some great motion shots. Yes, they will be really blurry, but they also give a great illusion of speed and be used nicely mixed in for effect.

Overcranking at 60fps will give you some extra frames for some nice slo-mo of closeups of tires. Also try using the shutter at even higher rates (1/1000 sec) to get some really nice detail.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Prateek Kashyap
on May 20, 2010 at 5:42:26 am

Thanks Ernie..

Will utilize the given info...also would it make a difference using a cine lens with it? Or the Canon series of HD lenses would suffice?

Prateek David Kashyap

Founder
Green Bamboo Pictures
63 C, Pocket B
Mayur Vihar PH II
New Delhi 110091

Mob: +91 9999972439
Ph: +91 11 43012479
Email:prateek@greenbamboopictures.com

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on May 20, 2010 at 1:20:07 pm

If you're out in the dirt shooting heavy equipment, you don't want to be dealing with primes and a cine lens system. You really need a good zoom. With machines moving fast towards and away from you, you will want to be able to keep nice framing. I call that a 'framing zoom' where the machine is moving towards you and you are zooming out to keep the machine the same size. You don't even know your zooming at all.

Primes are great to work with for cine depth-of-field, but they won't be your friend on a project like this outside. Plus, the dirt/dust is horrible in the environments you will be in.

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci S.O.A.
on May 20, 2010 at 4:12:34 pm

Cine style lens will help it enhance the "film" look by allowing you to do more selective focusing. Cinematographers use shallow depth of field in order to draw the attention of the audience to certain area of the frame.

Also cine style lenses will breathe less compared to ENG type lenses.

Emre Tufekci
http://www.productionpit.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]