FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nano Flash digital files for Varicam

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Watt
Nano Flash digital files for Varicam
on Mar 21, 2010 at 7:21:41 pm

I presume everyone is aware of the Nano Flash recorder and how well it works with the Varicam for digital files & compact flash is a lot less expensive than P2.

Also ran some tests with my HDC20A, 1080i camera and can record 35mbs files that will multiclip with my EX-3's, so new life for that antique. Also looks great at 140mbs.

jw

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
Re: Nano Flash digital files for Varicam
on Apr 7, 2010 at 7:07:56 pm

How are you mounting the Nano to the Varicam Jim?

Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Apr 7, 2010 at 7:19:36 pm

I have 2 mounting positions, both done with velcro. One is on the back of my two Lectrosonics RF receivers the other is on the side of the two receivers just to cut down on length a bit.

The RF receivers are velcroed & strapped to a plate on the back of my duel NP-1 battery case.

I'm using a remote cable to start & stop the NF.

jw

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina", Discoveries...India", "Discoveries...Asia", "Discoveries...Africa"

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:25:13 pm

Sorry Jim,

One last question. By using as a remote for the Nano, I guess you don't get a tally-light indicator in the VF. Is this much of a problem?

Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:29:42 pm

Not really, though it's not as sweet as using it with the EX-3 where i don't mind double recording.
The remote cable has a tally light on it and other than a few moments of cold sweat when you take a little mind vacation and forget exactly how you're recording and don't see the light in the viewfinder it works fine. The quality is amazing.

jw

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina", Discoveries...India", "Discoveries...Asia", "Discoveries...Africa"

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:44:47 pm

Thanks again Jim, One last question (haha!). Have you got a web link where you got the remote cable?

Cheers,
Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:53:46 pm

email rick kelly at rick@nanoflash.net. that's also his website, but he doesn't have the shorter cables on the site.

Return to posts index

Tom Troy
on Apr 14, 2010 at 1:07:32 pm

JW-

I am wrestling with a test of the nanoFlash box with a tape based varicam.

We have been shooting 720p to tape and now want to begin using the nanoFlash for better/faster workflows, sans deck.

The 'remove 3:2 pulldown' check box in the setup menu confuses me!

I want to end up with 720p/24 on my compact flash cards but can't figure out if the hd sdi output is already doing that b/c of my settings for recording to tape or if it is a 1080i/60 stream coming out of the HD SDI pipe regardless.

I could really use some 'settings' help!

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Apr 14, 2010 at 4:34:36 pm

Tom,

I'm probably not the one to answer this definitively, however that said, this is what little I know.
I set my Nano Flash to record 720p and check the "record PSF box, but don't check the remove pulldown box. The files a I get are indeed 720P/60, but that I believe is just how the camera records 24p.

Like I say, I'm no 24p expert, since 99.9% of my experience is with 29.97or 60P but if you look around in this forum, I think i saw a good explanation from John Shareff regarding how the Varicam records 24P.

My EX-3 also outputs 24P at 60fps through the SDI out.

The guys at Convergent design are very helpful. They're nearly all at NAB this week, but Dan Keaton is great at getting back via email. dan@convergent-design.com

jw

Return to posts index

Steve Cooperman
on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:58:38 pm

Another great way to record HD-SDI from the VariCam 27H, HDX900 or other large camcorders is with the Panasonic P2 Portable. This product includes master-quality, 10-bit AVC-Intra 100. For more info on this product and the mount, please visit the following:

AG-HPG20 P2 Portable
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?display...

P2-MOUNT
Bracket for Mounting HPG20 to the back of a large shoulder Mount Camera
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId...

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Apr 19, 2010 at 4:13:47 pm

Tom,

trust your instincts, their going to be correct most of the time, and the most valuable learning is by making mistakes!

Sure enough the Varicam includes the telecine (aka pull-down) in the HD-SDI stream that comes out the BNC connector, so if you want to just record the 24's (which obviously uses only 40% of the amount of storage) do check the box to remove the pulldown; you'll effectively now record 24pN (or native - w/o the repeated frames). This is precisely what the AJA or Blackmagic capture cards do to the Varicam footage when you import to a 24p timeline.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]