FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unislot in HDX900

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Rosson
Unislot in HDX900
on Feb 17, 2010 at 7:50:34 pm

Folks,

I would like to take advantage of this wireless setup and have googled but am not clear on the workings of the unislot.

Can a wireless receiver in this slot handle two channels of audio -- in other words -- record output from two wireless transmitters worn by two different people?

Or if this is not technically possible in the unislot, can two people with two receivers be recorded on one channel -- mixed?

And for any HDX900 owner out there -- what is a quality unislot transmitter/receiver for this camera?

Thank you,
JR

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Unislot in HDX900
on Feb 17, 2010 at 7:57:00 pm

Receivers like the Lectrosonic SR-5a Slot-Receiver are two channel units. Sony cameras hoever do not allow two channel input through the slot, you must use a pigtail and connect to the rear XLR's, but you are in luck, the Panasonic cameras have internal two channel connectivity to these type of receivers and if fed by two compatible transmitters on two people you can route the inputs to any track on the recorder. The usual application of this type of receiver is to receive the "hitch-hike" from the audio mixer who can adjust, monitor and mix his/her inputs and then give them to the camera without a wired connection.

JS

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:18:52 pm

John,

Thanks for quick reply.
Does that mean you need a mixer?
Or can this be easily set up in the field?
Also, do you use one on your HDX?

JR

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:23:48 pm

John,

No, you do not need a mixer, but without a properly equipped sound technician to monitor and adjust the levels on the inputs, you're casting your fate to the wind. Of course you can mount the transmitters on the two subjects, tune them in to your slot receiver, adjust the levels before you roll and hope for the best.

I do not have any HDX's, I use my Lectrosonic Slot receivers on my Sony PDW700 & 800's, but am familiar with the setup on other cameras. If you still have questions, I recommend you go to the Lectrosonics website and peruse the Slot Receiver information there, it is rather complete.

JS

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Feb 17, 2010 at 8:42:15 pm

John -- thank you -- will visit Lectrosonics, as that's the name I've seen in googling.
Also, Sennheiser to see if they make a unislot as well.
Appreciate this forum for its good 'first step' advice -- as always.

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:18:27 pm

I have an HDX and can tell you that it does NOT support two channel slot receivers...only single. You will have to use the optional "piggyback" output of a Lectro SR to an external mic input for two-channel functionality.

Panasonic opted not to make two channel work with the HDX. Only God knows why...

J Cummings
Cameralogic/Chicago
cameralogic.tv
HDX-900/HDW-730S/DXC-D50

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:25:31 pm

My bad for not checking more closely. The HDX900 predated the Lectro Slot Receiver, so yes it works like the Sony's only one channel is through connected, to use both you must pigtail to the rear XLR's.

These other Panasonic cameras have two-channel internal connection:

AG-HPX300 P2HD
AJ-HPX2000
AJ-HPX2100
AJ-HPX2700
AJ-HPX3000
AJ-HPX3700

While this is a bit of a pain, the advantage of powering the unit internally, rather than with another cable is immense as is the ability to leave the receiver installed in the camera's carry case, which is not possible when attached to the AB plate on the side.

JS

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Feb 18, 2010 at 2:44:57 pm

john s. -- i like the functionality of it as well john -- that and the two receiver capability are the big attraction for me.
john c. -- do you use the unislot? if so, lectronics?

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on Feb 18, 2010 at 3:51:08 pm

Hi John-

I own the Lectro SR, and use it with small SMa transmitters, either with mics or as a stereo link. I love the SR, it's been rock solid for me. I currently use the SR mounted externally on the side of my two slot-equipped cameras, because neither support dual channel slots. I attach it to the Anton/Bauer battery mounts via a BEC plate. I opted for the un-modified SR (no piggyback connector) because I will eventually move to newer cameras with two-channel slot capability.

I now thinking about adding a Nanoflash recorder to the mix, and that may force me to rethink the entire setup.

J Cummings
Cameralogic/Chicago
cameralogic.tv
HDX-900/HDW-730S/DXC-D50

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Feb 18, 2010 at 4:52:52 pm

SR -- glad to hear -- as i'm probably going there -- but likely with the pigtail.
Question -- even tho only one channel -- why not use the unislot to take the receiver off the side of the camera?

Return to posts index

John Cummings
on Feb 18, 2010 at 5:47:30 pm

"...why not use the unislot to take the receiver off the side of the camera?"

Because I switch cameras from day to day and often use both channels.
And it's a bit of a pain to swap it out of the slots...and I'm sorta lazy that way.

BTW, I find using the SR as a single channel receiver (in ratio diversity mode) is as solid as a wired mic...even here in Chicago, which is a very frequency congested city. Check your local frequencies carefully so you get the right block before you buy.

J Cummings
Cameralogic/Chicago
cameralogic.tv
HDX-900/HDW-730S/DXC-D50

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Feb 18, 2010 at 6:05:35 pm

that's not lazy -- make sense not to fool with screws each time.
thanks for all your help -- great to be able to backstop googling with solid advice & experience from this forum.
jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]