FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX2700 Macie Setup

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Walters
HPX2700 Macie Setup
on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:22:07 pm

Just got my 2700 back via FedEx from being set up by Paul Celona at Macie Video in Boston. Sent my new XA17x7.6BERM-M58B with it, and he created a lens file that corrects for flares, white preset and shading. Also installed the factory CAC file and made fine adjustments. Shipped with 12 new scene files on the SD card, with the Macie Standard look, Film Standard, Vivid, Backlight, High Contrast, Low Contrast among the files.
I can't believe the difference this setup has made. Low-light probably improved 20-30%... no kidding. Sharpness/grain while viewing live cam plugged into Pioneer 141 Elite 60inch via AJA Hi5 HD-SDI/HDMI is a revelation from what it was before. Really didn't expect this level of improvement. Maybe some settings were off when camera new out-of-the-box?
Don't want to come off as a shill, but this is great news for me, and wanted to pass it along.

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
Re: HPX2700 Macie Setup
on Feb 6, 2010 at 6:52:03 am

Great news Jeff! Macie used to maintain my BVW-D600's. How was low light sensitivity improved without gain boost? How do you like the XA17? Glad you're even happier with your 2700. It's such a great camera!

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Walters
on Feb 6, 2010 at 3:42:36 pm

Well I took your advise and bought the XA. Seems like a great lens - I really haven't tried it out in the real world yet. Paul at Macie called it "sweet"... He needed to do some slight adjustments for CA and lens shading, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I don't know where the extra bottom end came from. All I can think is that something was not right with my out-of-box setup. I was disappointed that it wouldn't go as low as my SDX, but that is no longer an issue.

New toy: I wanted a higher-rez monitor than my Pana TC-7 that has focus assist, so I got a Marshall 651ST-HDMI. Only 6.5 inches, and even smaller 16x9, but the highest resolution and stunning picture - 1024x768 at $1600, and only 1.3lbs. Wanted HDMI so I could also use on my 7D. Trick was to power the AJA HD-SDI to HDMI converter box and mount. Velcro'd a power plate from Nebtek w/Pana DV battery to the back of Anton Bauer receiver box that stretches around the back of cam battery, and it works great - cam balance is fine. But a BIG rig! Clear the decks, I'm coming through!

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
on Feb 6, 2010 at 7:27:12 pm

Jeff,

The XA and ZA series Fujinon lenses use the same glass as the HA series. As far as justification of price difference, I've heard things like extra lens coatings, more polishing, more calibration time.
Obviously, Fujinon has made sure there is a difference in zoom ratio, such as 18X vs. 17X or 13X vs. 12X, but I believe the XA17X7.6 models are a great value without compromising image quality.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Feb 6, 2010 at 10:13:47 pm

Jeff Walters, can I ask what the cost was for the set-up? If you don't want to post that publicly, my email is: ernie@santellaproductions.com

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

David Cosby
on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:50:45 pm

Yes, what was the charge for that?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 14, 2010 at 6:04:23 pm

Roger is a master. We've been using his service for a long time. Nothing but great things to say about Macie.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.1, Motion 4.0.1, Comp 3.5.1, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.1)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:43:55 am

[Jeff Walters] "Wanted HDMI so I could also use on my 7D. Trick was to power the AJA HD-SDI to HDMI converter box and mount. Velcro'd a power plate from Nebtek w/Pana DV battery to the back of Anton Bauer receiver box that stretches around the back of cam battery, and it works great"

Hi Jeff, I'm looking at the 2700 now. we hire it for lots of commercials. Did you consider using the D-tap power connector to power the AJA convertor?

Peter

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]