FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJ-HDC27F picture qualiy is very noisy (grainy) why?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gevorg Sarkisian
AJ-HDC27F picture qualiy is very noisy (grainy) why?
on Jan 30, 2010 at 4:40:48 am

I just bought a Panasonic AJ-HDC27f. I am not happy with the picture quality, it looks noisy, grainy. Can you please help me to solve this, is it the camera or the menu settings?

Here are some of the settings that I use it with.

I have set the dynamic range to %400
gamma .45
-3db
black 0
color correction 0 all around

Is there scene files that work the best with the camera so I can get the most performance out of it?

Thanks
George

Return to posts index

Jeff Regan
Re: AJ-HDC27F picture qualiy is very noisy (grainy) why?
on Jan 30, 2010 at 3:41:40 pm

The 27H is quieter than the 27F due to improved CCD's and processor. The 27F could be quieter by not using Film-Rec or reducing Dynamic Range to 200%, turning off Matrix, and even consider turning off detail.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
http://www.ssv.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Greene
on Feb 4, 2010 at 3:13:52 am

While the F model is not quite as noise free as the H model, it shouldn't be bad in the best set-ups.

There was a firmware update to the "F" cameras that added a menu item in the VTR menu called "Compression". Check if you have this item and set it to "Dark". Use this all the time. It will virtually eliminate nasty compression artifacts in darker areas of the image that may resemble "noise".

For the cleanest images, always shoot in "Film Rec" mode. You can set the "dynamic level" menu item in Vid Rec mode, but it will do nothing.

Because the camera records in 8bits, I normally shoot in Film Rec at a dynamic level of 200% to minimize banding in color correction. If I need more dynamic range to cover a scene, I will turn up the "dynamic level" as necessary to capture it. Note that shooting at 200% dynamic level will still produce an image that is low in contrast and color saturation and will require some color correction to look good.

Also, from my experience, don't use a dynamic level of greater than 300% when the gain is set to -3db, or you may clip one of the colors before the others, generating a color shift in the whites.

If I shoot in Vid Rec mode, even my H model will look a little noisey. Don't know why, but it does:(

All this said, the most important factor is to set the "compression" menu item in the VTR menu to "dark", otherwise you'll likely to be disappointed.

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.brucealangreene.com

Return to posts index

Chris Bell
on Feb 4, 2010 at 7:08:16 am

Get yourself a Chroma Du Monde chart and set your camera using a good scope. Dark Compression helps too.

Christopher Bell
Cinematography
http://www.christopher-bell.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]