FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dionic 90 batteries

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Raichl
Dionic 90 batteries
on Jan 4, 2010 at 11:07:00 pm

I've had a Varicam for close to 5 years, and I'm having to steadily replace the Dionoc 90's. Just had two fail about the same time, one new on 07. I went to Ebay to see if there were some available, and there are some used ones, and then there are some replacement batteries offered that aren't made by Anton Bauer. they appear to have the same specs, except for the real-time display. Has anyone a recommendation on these knockoffs? They certainly are cheaper, but I worry about some unseen issues. Their ad (Batt Inc) says it will fit an AJHDC27h; mines an "F"

Kevin

Return to posts index

Dale West
Re: Dionic 90 batteries
on Jan 5, 2010 at 1:33:32 pm

I have 8 Li-Ion batteries made in China. They use a knock off gold mount so they fit cameras using Anton-Bauer mounts. The are rated at 160 and 190 watt hours and weigh a fraction of what Anton-Bauer Nickel Metal batteries weigh at 140 watt hours. Their cost is also a fraction of AB but you have to change chargers. They seem to have a fair to good lifespan although I've not done anything scientific about detailing their life. Now, there is a lot of discussion about traveling with the Li-Ion batteries. So much so that if I fly to a gig I still take my AB 140 wh batteries with me. But they are HEAVY.
So, if they are a gold mount they will go on any gold mount. Will they last as long as AB in the long run? Probably not but I feel that the cost/life is good enough to buy them over the AB Li-Ion and the weight savings is no contest. But don't get me wrong. If AB was at a comparable price point I'd probably go back to them. But they are not close. I can get 2-190 watt hour batteries and a 2 position charger for a little ove 1200 bucks. 1 AB 160wa battery is a little over 800 bucks.

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-892-1201

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Jan 6, 2010 at 2:01:24 pm

I've been using batteries from Batteries4Broadcast. They have been superb. Great power, excellent quality and their customer service is tops. I originally bought 2 to try out. I now have 8, couldn't recommend them more.

http://www.batteries4broadcast.com/

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Jan 6, 2010 at 3:51:49 pm

ernie,
i'm assuming you use the am4010 and bought a charger.
do you find the weight diff between that and the 140's worth it?
thank you,
jr

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Jan 6, 2010 at 8:58:32 pm

I've got the biggest AM4010's. Not sure about weight compared to latest AB's, but they are way lighter than the older AB full-size bricks. The B4B AM4010's weight about 2.5 lbs each, which is really nice.

Return to posts index

John Rosson
on Jan 7, 2010 at 3:19:12 pm

thanks -- if you don't mind my asking ... what did the charger cost?
these hytron 140's are great-- last a long time -- but they're heavy -- and i'm looking to lighten the load.

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Jan 7, 2010 at 5:51:38 pm

Several years ago our Anton Bauer ProPac14 batteries needed to be replaced. Rather than buy new we found a company that rebuilt them, re-using the original outer case for much less than buying new and they worked for us beautifully. Check out http://www.rathboneenergy.com/

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Jan 7, 2010 at 7:25:06 pm

Rathbone is excellent. I had them rebuild my older AB ProPacs (The sealed ones) They cut open the cases are rebuild the cells. The rebuilts were Better than the original ABs!!!

The chargers for the Batteries4Broadcast are very reasonable. Check out the batteries4broadcast.com website for prices. I'm not associated with them, just a happy end user.

Return to posts index

Kevin Raichl
on Jan 8, 2010 at 7:53:34 pm

Rathbone did do a good job the last time I had some rebuilt. The only problem was that it took six months to get the batteries back once I sent them in.

Thanks for your input.

Kevin

Kevin

Return to posts index

Scott Stoneback
on Jan 29, 2010 at 4:14:00 am

I've used the same ones, bought a few to test like Ernie did in 2006. They still work great. I have 6 now. I had two of the twin chargers, but one died. I sent to B4B and he gave me a discount on a new charger. Now I have the 4 position. It was good customer service.

I am very happy with the batteries. They also have a handy 12v port AB-type plugs and a regular round 12v dc port. That has come in handy for a quickie light setup with an AB toplight.

One larger 140 will run the HDX900 for several hours. I usually only need 1.5 batts to get through a long day of shooting.

Stoneback Video Productions
Lighting Cameraman
Panasonic HDX900
San Francisco Bay Area and Worldwide
http://www.stonebackvp.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]