FORUMS: list search recent posts

Varicam at 25fps in avid

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adrian combes
Varicam at 25fps in avid
on Dec 13, 2009 at 7:21:32 am

Hi does anyone have any info which might help me in my decision dilema . I'm in pal land cutting in media composer v3. and looking at purchasing a secondhand hd varicam . I do a lot of low budget tvc's in a regional broadcast area . and the varicam seems to offer a lot more bang for the buck but the workflow and output options seem to be an issue for pal countries. I'm currently shooting on a 9 series sony sx and quite frankly have never owned a pana camera before but as i said its low budget land I'm working in and a new sony 900r just isnt in the equation and theres a plethora of good value secondhand varicams on the market at the moment.
thanks

Return to posts index

Dale West
Re: Varicam at 25fps in avid
on Dec 15, 2009 at 12:04:21 pm

Adrian,
A few things come to mind on your question. I am far from an expert but have been around a while and do own a Varicam. I bought an F model a little over 6 years ago and still love it. It still makes beautiful images and has held up very well. Buying a used camera though is always a crap shoot. They do have a life span and getting one that still has life to go is the challenge. If the seller is on the up and up there should be fewer concerns but do your homework on the camera and the seller.

Will you also buy a deck? Without a deck there are other issues for digitizing. While you can use the camera it is not a recommended method.

The 25p is not an issue with the VariCam. Set the system freq and off you go.

If P2 is a possibility then maybe you want to look at the HPX-301. Add a few cards and you are on the way. While it is sooooo not a VariCam it might get you started in the Panasonic line of products.
Like all of the camera lines there are lots of pluses and minuses but do some home work, try some cameras and ask your questions to the huge community of users on the "Cow"

I'm not an editor so any P2 issues with your current edits setup are out of my scope. Again there are a bunch of very well informed folks that can take you through them.

Good Luck in your search

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-892-1201

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]