FORUMS: list search recent posts

24 frame judder

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Maslin
24 frame judder
on Dec 7, 2009 at 2:56:07 pm

I'm aware of the risks posed with excessive motion when shooting 24 frame images. I just shot a commercial where the client asked for some moderately quick pans and tilts. It all looked smooth in the monitor while shooting, but when we got to post there was quite a bit of "stepping" on those moves.

Two questions: can anything be done about it now, post-wise? And in the future, how do I get around this if I want the film look of 24 fps and quicker camera moves? Do I settle for 30fps?

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
Re: 24 frame judder
on Dec 7, 2009 at 3:29:56 pm

Did you use a 1/2 shutter while shooting? That is the only way to make 24f shooting look correct. Also, what type/brand monitor were you using on the shoot? Some my not show you exactly what you are shooting.

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 7, 2009 at 3:44:21 pm

You're probably looking at a 24p timeline playback. When pull down is inserted on output everything will improve, motionwise, and it will look like it did on the monitor when you were shooting.

JS

Return to posts index

Bryan Maslin
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:22:58 pm

Thanks Ernie and John. I should have clarified. I shot with a 1/48 shutter, viewing through a Panasonic BT-LH900 monitor. The spot is being posted in Final Cut Pro, and was edited in a 30 frame timeline for broadcast. My editor tells me that the motion artifacts were more pronounced after being downcoverted.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:43:00 pm

Bryan,

It sounds like you did everything right. The "judder" that the editor is referring to is normal. I suspect that he has never seen/edited 24p before. I've had this problem before with 30p when viewed by editor familiar only to 60p!

Granted that for production you should have a bigger monitor than a 8", preferably the 17" or I use a 23". This way there are no surprises later with motion or focus. But I understand the economic necessities.

When in doubt, of course, you must test the variables all the way through your chain. Most rental houses will allow you to comne in a nd shoot test in their shop for no charge.

JS

Return to posts index

Wolf Austad
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:03:28 pm

The CCD in the Varicam and the HDX-900 (and probably other cameras too) doesn't really read out the image with the same 'blur' as film when shutter time is 1/48 sec. The CCD appears to have a shorter shutter time. Try setting the shutter to between 200 and 220 degree on a Varicam or 1/40 sec on HDX-900. Downside is those speeds are not flicker free.

On Panasonic's LCDs the image often look less stuttery than on other monitors. I've had this problem before, shooting 24P on a Varicam and the Director + Client viewing on a Panasonic BT-LH 1700W. During shooting and playback Dir + Client are all happy, then after downconverting there's full panic and frenetic finger pointing... ;-)

Aasulv Wolf Austad, fnf
Director of Photography
Los Angeles based

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on Dec 14, 2009 at 6:43:51 pm

Bryan,

Another thing you need to check..... are you viewing 23.98 footage in a 29.97 timeline? If so, you will see bad frame judder. Edit the footage in 23.98, then use a good hardware based card ie Kona 3 Card to do the proper pull down on it's way to tape (29.97). This works for me!

Bill Paris

Bill Paris
Producer/Director of Photography
Crew Hawaii Television
http://www.crewhawaii.com

Return to posts index

Bryan Maslin
on Dec 16, 2009 at 4:03:04 am

Hi Bill -

My editor tried your solution, and for output to tape, it's a definite improvement - thanks! We're now trying to create SD digital files for upload / broadcast, and DVDs, where we won't be going through the AJA card / breakout box. Any thoughts on 29.97 workflow for that?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]